Ringle bottle cages - how tight?!

Woodsman

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Purchased a nice Ringle cage with no cracks or much wear and am just astonished how tight it is to get a bottle in and out. The plastic from the bottle get's more than a scrape, does this sound normal or were bottles a bit narrower in diameter back in the day? (Maximum adjustment on the mounts/slots by the way)

I have a modern Leyzene bottle cage and a Hope bottle and I am finding the same, but it is loosening up over time. Difference is that mine is a plastic type one so may have more give over time?

holds bottles nice and tight but does shag the outside of the bottle like no other cage i have ever used

Yep, remember a mate having one years back, it totally destroyed the design on any bottle he used. Also destroyed half the anodising on the inside :)

Well I think I've got it adjusted up to an acceptable standard. It does look right on the bike though, just need another one more for the double bottle look! It's on a retro road bike incase you're wondering why the two bottles.

Personally,i happy to struggle to remove it, it's not that difficult
What i wouldnt like however is to be in dire need of fluid only to find the bottle has fallen out and is somewhere miles behind you
Joking aside,that can be dangerous,especially if youre on a long trail or road and it would be difficult to locate another source.
An emergency filter straw is a real bit of kit that takes up as much room as a pencil and weighs about the same. I know you might think it mad to have such a thing living in your bike gear but it is a very handy tool if youre stuck
And how many of us normally carry things its unlikely well use unless its an emergency :?

Back