verdict on 8 speed c record ergos? or new 10/11 speed

shifting on my 8/9 speed veloce/chorus much better by far than my 11 speed athena, but I struggle a bit modulating speed with smallish hands on long steep descents on the old levers compared to new stuff.

but is there any way to make 8spd ergos and a shimano rear mech compatible with 7 speed cassette? :) Because 8spd ergos with campy rear mech and seven speed cassette is not an issue, the spacing is the same.. Campy8spd ergos with shimano rear mech and 6 speed cassettes also indexes nicely, but with the seven speed, I've found it impossible to set it up correctly. :(

Any advices would be heeded gladly. : D Ofcoruse my ergos are shitty cheap old Mirage ones, though they were NOS when I've bought them 2 weeks ago :D :D I can't set them up well with my shimano rear mech and seven speed cassette. I know that it'd be perfect match for a sixspeed cassette or I can replace my rear mech with a campy one and index on the seven speed perfectly, but I don't know how on earth I can make it work with sh rear mech and seven speed cassette.

(yes, I've read all of the CTC stuff on rear derailleurs, the highpath engineering site's article also, I've looked on "workingoncycles dot blogspot dot com" and "shimergoogled" the whole web. :D I know I should have been able to solve this problem somehow, but I can't :( I always get extra jump on the middle of the cassette :( :(

Just maybe there is something amiss with your set up to produce that extra shift?
I set the mech to run perfectly on the smallest cog and big ring without a cable fitted. Wind the adjusters out a third on the rear cable, fit it and get it real tight. Back off the adjuster if you have pulled it over to far or wind it in to take up slack. Before you do fit the cable put some decent tension on it and triple check that the upshift button has gone as far as it can. Experience tells me that without the tension that button won't go as afr as it should and you can leave a click in which shows up in unexpected places.
I expect you have dealt with this but just a thought.

mattsccm":1x2twp98 said:
Just maybe there is something amiss with your set up to produce that extra shift?
I set the mech to run perfectly on the smallest cog and big ring without a cable fitted. Wind the adjusters out a third on the rear cable, fit it and get it real tight. Back off the adjuster if you have pulled it over to far or wind it in to take up slack. Before you do fit the cable put some decent tension on it and triple check that the upshift button has gone as far as it can. Experience tells me that without the tension that button won't go as afr as it should and you can leave a click in which shows up in unexpected places.
I expect you have dealt with this but just a thought.

slightly better, but still not perfect. Tomorrow I'll perhaps try asking help from a mech guy, see if there's anything he can do.

I don't have an extra click now, but the mech still shifts two cogs simultaneously sometimes. I'm mentally prepared to do the following:

1. either buying a campy rear mech
2. ditch the largest cog and re-space the cassette to a six-speed one. : ) either solution can help.

The first would provide solution as the campy shifter would row with the campy mech perfectly, and the spacing of sh 7 and campy 8 is the same. The latter would be solution as well as the sh6 spacing is slightly wider than seven speed, thereby it'd tolerate that little over-pull better.

According to the tables at ctc and other cycling sites, 8speed campy with sh rear mech would be suitable for 5-6 speed cassettes, but not for seven. Thereby I still don't see how you made it possible to work, but I suppose you are more talented-experienced-have greater insight into getting bike mechs to work than me. : ) (excuse for my incompetence, I'm a beginner :) )

Cheers again :)

It's impossible to make it work without a campy rear mech... It overpulls the rear derailleur, and that's it. I cannot make it work.

Now on the phone to get an appropriate RD.. :D :D

Back