How's this for bad-but-good news?

deelam

Retro Guru
I have just been diagnosed with HMS - Hyper Mobility Syndrome.
http://www.hypermobility.org

I have had a few back, neck and joint problems which led me to ostepaths and chiropractors who diagnosed me. It seems that my joints are too flexible meaning that I can wear them out too quickly and have greater risk of injury.
The info on the website, particularly the forums is damn scary :shock:
But personally I'm not convinced that I am likely to end up a cripple as many HMS "sufferers" seem to.

That's the bad bit :(

Now the good bit :D

In order to prevent it getting worse and to avoid injury, I have been "ordered" to keep a good level of fitness, particularly my legs and knees.
Prescription: plenty of cycling. (Translated: brilliant off-road mountain biking!!!)
My wife has even fully bought into the fact that I MUST get out on the bikes regularly. -JOY!

Does anyone have any particular experience of knee problems and issues?
My right knee has too much lateral movement which seems to cause pain after a particularly hard session. I use SPDs but set them up well and give myself plenty of movement.

friends who've had knee problems in the past really recommend time pedals. eggbeaters have a similiar amount of "float", although they're far from long term durable going by the amount of broken 1s I've laffed at, sorry I meant seen & helped my friends limp home... ;)

Thanks guys, I need some spare pedals for the Fisher when it's finally ready.
I'll try Time pedals.

Doctor's orders save the day!

:D
My 1st pair of Oakley M-Frames were bought after 2 bouts of conjunctivitis led me to the doctor's, there he took a swab and when the results came back he told me and mum (I was 15) that the infection was from a bacteria found in sheep dung, probably flung up by my front wheel when moutnain biking, I convinvinced mum to buy me some Oakleys and a crud catcher for my birthday! RESULT.

I am now 29 and still have the same pair of Mrames, two frames and three lenses later. A bit like triggers brush! :D

I have Speedplay pedals that offer really much float. Actually I never use them. I don't use clickpedals at all!

As above. def ditch the SPDs for time, or egg beaters,

SPD knee damage is directly responsible for my lack of a premiership footballing career*

I used the old time pedals when they first came out with the MTB dual sided version, strange lime green colour scheme they had. suddenly my knees hurt a LOT less.
I now use egg beaters with no probs but then I dont ride as much anymore - unfortunately.

(*utter lie)

deelam":3odt098u said:
Prescription: plenty of cycling. (Translated: brilliant off-road mountain biking!!!)
My wife has even fully bought into the fact that I MUST get out on the bikes regularly. -JOY!
Hmm I can feel a twitch in my knee right now...
Hah but seriously I hope it does turn out to be a good thing for you, certainly much better to find out now when you can take some preventative measures.

Back