MacRetro chat and rides thread

When I did the etape last year we passed our mate who was a half way through his marathon after finishing the etape, he was training for an ironman.

It is £63 and expensive but the roads are closed and it is supported pretty well. Be great to see more closed road sportives up here.

The bad publicity is down to a few people not liking the roads closed which is fair enough, but the majority of residents seem to support it, they were fantastic and out in all weathers shouting encouragement and some were even handing out cookies and drinks. It definitely brings in a lot of money to the area, going by what I spent locally :)

might give it a go, if i I don't need to register on the Saturday.. a few of the boys seem to be up for it..

totally agree about the £63, but the etape has always appealed due to the closed road nature of the event and countryside (if only I could find employment up there, always thought it would be a great part of the world to live)

can empathise will some anti-sportive feelings myself.. however it does get the date in the diary, give you a little goal to keep you honest, and actually makes you do it on the day and not look out the window and think f'k it or take short cuts home..

the other angle is how road cycling has become all about sportives rather than TT's and roadraces, i can't believe how diminished the race calendar is compare to the 80's & 90's when there was at 10-15 races in scotland every weekend... but sportives must be better serving the majority otherwise they wouldn't be so popular and numbers of people riding is higher now than bitd

If you want to enter I would do it soon as it sells out fast, the Kinross sportive sold out in 12 hours last week.

I'm entered if you want to start with us enter a time of under 4.30 code erskine32 - not that I will make it under 4 .30 but am aiming for 5 this year.

General entries are now closed. If you want to sign up now you must do the charity pledge and raise at least £300.

MacRetro National

Ok folks, looking to nail down the date of the National. I'll put forward Saturday/Sunday the 10/11th of August. Any objections or further suggestions?

Would be good to get a rough idea of the area too. Whats been your favourite suggestion?

Gazz its possible the national may be a 2 dayer, original idea was to offer up an epic type adventure, we wouldn't get the numbers but we would be able to offer a differnt type of ride especially for the folks travelling. There has been mooted though a type of epic where the overnighter is optional and would present a couple of day rides. Logistically this needs a bit of sorting but there were a few ideas.

Rob do you mean of what vintage? As always Retro preferred and expect a ribbing if you turn up on modern, but you wouldn't be shown the door. Always nice to show off the old stuff at least once a year.

Latest posts

Back