How long is too long [frame refinishing]...?

Quickest turn around I've seen was 4-5 weeks for a nice/custom paint job and the longest was nearly 11 months but that was for a very custom project.

Jb666 got a frame designed, built and fookin' copper plated in less than 5 months.

Make of that what you will.

How many man hours does it actually take to paint a frame.... 30? 40? So why should anyone have to wait more than a couple of weeks if they're dealing with a professional, organised company?

Russell":od1drlyf said:
Jb666 got a frame designed, built and fookin' copper plated in less than 5 months.

How many man hours does it actually take to paint a frame.... 30? 40? So why should anyone have to wait more than a couple of weeks if they're dealing with a professional, organised company?

It shouldnt, and i dont think it does for a straight frame refinish by argos or anyone else.

NeilM":1j5ghzso said:
BB; Sorry, I hadn't spotted when the thread was started.

I share your interest, in this matter.

I know there are many custom builders who are skilled and therefore constantly busy, someone like Kevin Winter would be a good example, but it could just as easily be Dave Yates or any number of other 'artisan' builders.

These guys have pretty full order books, but at the same time can give a good idea of when the work will be done, even if that is three months away, then a customer can at least make a considered decision.

Personally, I think three to four months is a sensible time for a complex repair and respray. A little more than that can perhaps be excused due to other jobs running over. Where chrome is concerned, this can add time, but back when I used to build custom motorcycles, my local chrome plater could strip, polish, base and top plate motorbike bits in a week to ten days and my local plater recently stripped, cleaned and re-anodised a bundle of bike bits for me in three days.

In the case of my DB, I am just resigned to wait until it comes back. Needless to say, I would have to think long and hard before placing any further business with them, regardless of the quality.

To answer my own question: The trouble is, once the frame has reached the workshop and work has begun, it is almost impossible to then get it back, until the work is complete, and there is always the danger that losing your rag over the phone with the people doing the work will only slow things down even more, so instead, we just keep quiet and wait..and wait...and wait....

Neil, im sure im not the only one who has had frame repairs undertaken and similarly to yours.

I can only say this in defense of the case in question.

The man is scandalously modest, and i can assure you, if you went in with an old frame in person, with a problem he would want to sort it.

But he wouldnt want to just sort it out, (a quick easy fix so to speak, ie get a similar tube and that will do).

It would be restored as it was when it was first made. This in itself will cause potentially a massive delay.

Not all tubes are still avaliable, and can make a frame builders job much harder, but they go the extra mile and persevere untill they get the correct tube.
if they are still avaliable they might have to deal with a quantity too, which unless they have a need for several tubes will raise the cost, they wont want to have to increase the cost to the customer, which might also be cause for delays.

I am unsure if a tubing supply was the issue in your case, but this happens believe me. And the Man takes a personal Pride in everything he does, and he wouldnt have let that frame go untill it was right.

Russell":3jkmvn7q said:

Missing the point entirely.
:roll:
If that refinisher already has a few frames booked in ahead of yours, you wait, or go elsewhere.
The time you wait is inversely related to their reputation, whether deserved or not.
A thread of frustration can be found here: http://forums.mtbr.com/frame-building/a ... 02890.html

Ive had 3 repairs done in the last 2 years

The last was an alloy frame that needed the stays repairing - a local engineering shop did it for £80 to repair & re enforce to stays. Time was 2 weeks - add another week really as its only a 10 minute drive from my house to them. quick as it was a bare burnished frame requiring no stripping ort repainting afterwards.

Before that a frame went off to be powder coated - turnaround was just under4 weeks. An excellent powdercoat and service though i believe they no longer do bikes. (Windridge)

And before that I sent a very sickly Stumjumper off to be throughly overhauled and have 2 new chainstays fitted and repainted. Took just over 3 months and was a very good job. Yes i would have liked to have had it done quicker but i wasn't fobbed off nor disappointed with the quality of work. Would i recommend them - yes. It took time but the chainstays were not"just any old length of tube lying around" in that the frame builder actually bothered to go out and get the nearest match to the original direct drive ones . Was Chris Marshall BTW..

If a tube is being replaced and a repaint - i.e a comprehensive restoration/refurbishment then 3 - 4 months would be my expected time add a bit more for complicated paint and or a difficult repair or hard to source tube.

sinnerman":ef1cuf76 said:
NeilM":ef1cuf76 said:
BB; Sorry, I hadn't spotted when the thread was started.

I share your interest, in this matter.

I know there are many custom builders who are skilled and therefore constantly busy, someone like Kevin Winter would be a good example, but it could just as easily be Dave Yates or any number of other 'artisan' builders.

These guys have pretty full order books, but at the same time can give a good idea of when the work will be done, even if that is three months away, then a customer can at least make a considered decision.

Personally, I think three to four months is a sensible time for a complex repair and respray. A little more than that can perhaps be excused due to other jobs running over. Where chrome is concerned, this can add time, but back when I used to build custom motorcycles, my local chrome plater could strip, polish, base and top plate motorbike bits in a week to ten days and my local plater recently stripped, cleaned and re-anodised a bundle of bike bits for me in three days.

In the case of my DB, I am just resigned to wait until it comes back. Needless to say, I would have to think long and hard before placing any further business with them, regardless of the quality.

To answer my own question: The trouble is, once the frame has reached the workshop and work has begun, it is almost impossible to then get it back, until the work is complete, and there is always the danger that losing your rag over the phone with the people doing the work will only slow things down even more, so instead, we just keep quiet and wait..and wait...and wait....

Neil, im sure im not the only one who has had frame repairs undertaken and similarly to yours.

I can only say this in defense of the case in question.

The man is scandalously modest, and i can assure you, if you went in with an old frame in person, with a problem he would want to sort it.

But he wouldnt want to just sort it out, (a quick easy fix so to speak, ie get a similar tube and that will do).

It would be restored as it was when it was first made. This in itself will cause potentially a massive delay.

Not all tubes are still avaliable, and can make a frame builders job much harder, but they go the extra mile and persevere untill they get the correct tube.
if they are still avaliable they might have to deal with a quantity too, which unless they have a need for several tubes will raise the cost, they wont want to have to increase the cost to the customer, which might also be cause for delays.

I am unsure if a tubing supply was the issue in your case, but this happens believe me. And the Man takes a personal Pride in everything he does, and he wouldnt have let that frame go untill it was right.

Are we talking Chas here?
I took him a ropey old Dekerf with a cracked chainstay (these big frames get ridden by some right fatties) wanting only a cheap repair. I eventually got the cheap repair after he'd spent a couple of months trying to find a replacment chain stay. He was going to do it properly if he could, not just structurally, but aesthetically too.

I think we all recognise that there are waiting lists. Its the difference between the quoted time frame and the actual delivery time that people find difficult to accept.

Surely expert finishers should know how long it is going to take to get around to your frame and then complete the job.

suburbanreuben":3sbst2sk said:
Russell":3sbst2sk said:

Missing the point entirely.
:roll:
If that refinisher already has a few frames booked in ahead of yours, you wait, or go elsewhere.
The time you wait is inversely related to their reputation, whether deserved or not.
A thread of frustration can be found here: http://forums.mtbr.com/frame-building/a ... 02890.html

I'll explain myself more clearly rather than accusing you of missing the point and rolling my eyes.. its more polite and I won't come across as a patronising twat.

There is a difference between....

1. Being told that they can't do your frame for 6 months, but that when they can, it will take two weeks, to;

2. Them taking your frame off you with no timescale offered and you being without it for 6 months, powerless to do anything about it.

Back