1994 Specialized Stumpjumper

I am still kicking myself for letting the original blades from mine go to a friend's orange a few years ago, One thing I don't miss though is the grey umma-gumma's......they cost me a couple of ribs once on a wet bridge!

I know I'm digging up this thread from the archives, but I have the same frame and not sure at the moment what diameter seatpost that frame takes. I can hardly get a 27.0 Controltech in a few cm, and 26.8 slips right in. Which one is the one that the bike is specced for?

Thanks
Holger

That would be a 26.8m if memory serves. Sure I saw one for sale recently too (original seat post that is). If a 26.8 slips down then it may be due to it not being that well looked after. Quite common on steel frames really, not sure if it's terminal though.

Just re-read that and it's not very helpful, what I mean is that the steel may have been stretched over the years by either not being clamped up properly, or the post being in below the Min insertion mark, or by someone using a post of the wrong diameter for example.

Nice bike by the way. I had one for a few years and they really do ride nice. Massively under specced in components by Specialized for the quality of the frame, deserves XT kit for sure.

Thanks for the info! I'll go with a 26.8 then and can still choose between Syncros and XT, those are the ones I have in 26.8. Still not decided which one it'll be. The original Specialized one does not hold a great appeal for me.

I agree with that frame being underspecced. However, I'm a great fan of the black LX that it originally had. I kind of grew up with it, it's supersolid and the black shiny finish is unrivalled. So I'm more than happy to build it partly according to original specs. I went for a White Industries cranks, though, just to spice it up a little.

I'll post pictures when it's done. Probably in a new thread.

Cheers,
Holger

I was doing my normal Brisbane Riverloop the other day (I've gone all roadie these days), and when I got to UQ I saw a girl riding one of these to uni. Amazing condition, other than a bit of grime on the derailleurs (original black LX) it looked new! If hers hadn't been in size Tiny I'd have asked if she wanted to sell it.

Love the colour, my favourite ever Stumpjumper.

Here's a pic of my stumpy. Had it since new -- love it. Nearly original. New wheels. Gone through many sets of tires. Hard to find the grey ones these days. Can't believe the original seat is still holding up --need to find a new one soon though.

Attachments

• 1994Stumpjumper.JPG
    1994Stumpjumper.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 678
snoDog":2vl1ae16 said:
Here's a pic of my stumpy. Had it since new -- love it. Nearly original. New wheels. Gone through many sets of tires. Hard to find the grey ones these days. Can't believe the original seat is still holding up --need to find a new one soon though.

I have one, just had it re painted in Charcoal, don't they ride lovely! Is it a Prolong Ti saddle?

Back