Identifying my new Raleigh

jackhulbert

Retro Newbie
I've just acquired a Raleigh which was abandoned in an industrial unit my sons firm has just moved into. It's had a nasty respray at some time in it's life and the only identifying marks are the Raleigh badge and the frame number WM4000386. The seatpost size is 27.2 mm and the main tubes are aero section. Front and rear mechs are Shimano as is the chainset. Brakes and headset Campagnolo, stem and bars Cinelli. Wheels are Weinemann A124 (I think!)- bit of a mixed bag there but all nice quality components in their time.

Raleigh isn't my area of knowledge and the dating info I can find on the net is a bit contradictory, but I've developed a soft spot for the thing and it is really pleasant to ride, so it's now stripped and is going to have a full refurb. Identity will help with a few decisions!

No, sorry!

It's stripped to it's component parts now and the frame went for paint stripping and powdercoating this morning. Be back in about a week.

Raleigh serial numbers were recycled so it could also be '84. With aero tubing i'd say it was an '84 team cadet or similar - there were a handful of models with aero tubing that year..

ral84_08.jpg

ral84_07.jpg

ral84_06.jpg

shawnb":1td7ry63 said:
Record sprint 12 ;)

Guess it looks like it. Not the best catch in the world but ok for free and I won't feel guilty about what colour I have it with whatever components choose to put on it.

Thanks for the guidance :D

Back