The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

cce":32oxaqmh said:
I'm considering an ebay business offering percussive molecular realignment of cables.

get the cables in the post, hit with hammer, post back. BAM.

mine will be better than yours - I have a gold hammer for imporoved top end

What do you guys think of DCT cables (cryo deep frozen) i've heard the process can damage them ........cracking etc..........they even claim you can freeze trumpets and sax to get a better sounds, any truth in this ?

greenstiles":2zzewyrt said:
What do you guys think of DCT cables (cryo deep frozen) i've heard the process can damage them ........cracking etc..........they even claim you can freeze trumpets and sax to get a better sounds, any truth in this ?

More hokum. :roll:

Quote this review:
“The price may be high, but performance seems to justify it. Bass seemed the best in the group, in terms of both extension and control, and there is plenty of detail on offer. Treble and midrange are exceptionally clean, imaging is broad but detailed, and climaxes remain clear with full dynamics. Certainly one of the best interconnects around.” Hi Fi Choice November 2002.

Whereas the explanation was that it merely reduced the resistance of the copper by removing grain dislocations. These could be compensated by a fatter conductor. In reality the resistance of the cables is minimal (0.00whatever of an Ohm) and are part of the design considerations anyway.

But the emperor has now cryogenically treated his clothes, and the rest of use are clearly not trained enough to hear the difference.

I think some cables sound different to each other.....but the trouble is so many sound the same.

Differences are usually subtle, but some silver cables sound too sharp and some cables definatley sound a bit dull, it's more about fine tuning than ' night and day'

I'd be intersted to know what cables people use who say' that interconnects are all the same' i bet they don't use out of the box cables ;)

I've always found speaker cables more night and day than interconnects.......but saying that the ones i've been knocking up recently are tested on good headphones plus house speakers as sometimes room acoustics will not give you all the picture of what a cable sounds like. So i can get a good open, balanced sounding cable with lots of styles of music.

As a lot of amps don't have tome controls i think it's important to get an interconnect with the right tonal balance :D

greenstiles":2md03bt2 said:
I think some cables sound different to each other.....but the trouble is so many sound the same.

Differences are usually subtle, but some silver cables sound too sharp and some cables definatley sound a bit dull, it's more about fine tuning than ' night and day'

FFS!

Cables are dictated by resistance, capacitance and impedance. Its basic physics! Unless you play around with the load on an amplifier by introducing something in-line, all cables will react in the same bloody way - allow the passing of electrons! Thats all they do. Bad insulation will introduce interference from radio frequencies or the plug may be an odd resistance but then that is a fault and not a sound characteristic.

Try doing a blind test, you will not be able to tell what is what. I had 8 years of this, moderating a forum full of wannabe experts who believed nothing more than the bloody magazines. The company I worked for voided the warranty if anything other than a standard power cable was used. The company sold interconnects from Belkin for a fair price and that was that, no daft promises, just quality materials tested in F1 race conditions and perfect for 'Hi bloody Fi'.

Back