Forum suggestions - splitting the road classifieds

Yeah, sorry about the slow response, pretty snowed under atm.

This has been discussed on the mtb section before and the decision has always been not to split the classifieds. However if this is something the road section wants then we can discuss further.

I can see both points of view.
*Splitting the classifieds out into multiple sections makes it easy to find a specific item.
*Splitting the classifieds out makes idle browsing much harder - I know this is how I buy most stuff. It also increases moderation effort and would make 'clearout' threads difficult.

Can see the CTC approach of splitting into complete bikes / bike parts might work.

As for archving old sales threads this would be a fair bit of moderation effort but if people are willing to help out then we can give it a trial.

I don't think you want to split the classifieds too much i.e into frames, gears, brakes, etc. A time trialling forum did that and it was not very popular at all.

I think just splitting into complete bikes and parts would be good. If someone is selling a bike they normally dedicate a whole thread to it anyway. When searching for a bike for a friend/ customer or myself it would be nice to go straight to where they all are rather than wade through. I think it works really well on CTC.

Obviously thats my opinion and I'm not the only person using the forum but it does seem to make sense.

In regard to archiving etc, it would tidy things up although not sure it would be entirely necessary.

As I said above I'm ready and raring if you need help with moderation :)

I agree with the ideas above.
Splitting the for sale in complete bikes/parts would help. More splitting would be time consuming and confusing in my opinion.
Keeping old posts in some form is a must I think, very useful for reference.
The idea of Tel of a space for traders is interesting, also it might generate some revenue for the forum.
Thank you all.

I'm another in favour of splitting the for sale section into complete bikes and parts.

A traders area would also be useful, I certainly don't see anything wrong with it, provided it does not just fill up with all the usual on-line stores that we all know about already.

I have no thoughts on the archive, I tend to use the search function to find older posts / information.

Ha! I see that LFGSS has just split their forum! Coincidence!? Yeah probably :)

Interestingly included full bikes and frames together....

I think it's a good idea.

If for no other reason than that when I'm looking for a headset and I see an advert for a complete Colnago all of a sudden I forget about the headset... :?

If you're asking for a show of hands my wife thinks it's a good idea too...

Have done the classified split, sorry for the delay.

Let's see how it goes :)

Back