Raleigh Gran Sport 1983 Restoration Project Complete

cipolinni

Old School Grand Master
Hi everyone

Some of you may be cursing me for what iv'e done to this quite rare Raleigh Gran Sport from 1983
I thought of restoring this to it's former glory,same colour/components etc. The whole bike was in a state,components shot,seat post stuck.
So carried out a restoration project of my own.
Removed the seat post,caustic soda method,dissolved all the alloy post away. Rubbed all the frame with fine paper and wire wool,removed all the rust spots,2 Coats of primer,etching primer on the exposed steel area.

Chose a nice Olympic White top coat,kept the decals simple.Raleigh DT decal and new Reynolds 531c frame and forks decals. Breeze Blue Headstock and seat post panel. Final coat of clear laquer. I seem to recall some of the gran sport models did actually have this colour scheme at some point

Anyway my plan is to use this over the winter months,waiting for delivery of Salmon profil aero alloy guards (close clearance)
The components are a mix of Campagnolo aero seat post,Shimano 600 tricolor chainset,300EX Front/Rear mechs,Modolo Corsa Brake calipers and levers,Cinelli bar and stem,Campagnolo chorus hubs with mavic rims. Hope you like it.

Any comments greatly accepted,Good or Bad

Attachments

• DSCF2172.jpg
    DSCF2172.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 3,926
  • DSCF2171.jpg
    DSCF2171.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 3,926
  • DSCF2167.jpg
    DSCF2167.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 3,926
  • DSCF2164.jpg
    DSCF2164.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 3,926
Raleigh Gran Sport 1983 Re-Finish Different Colour

Some more pictures

Attachments

• DSCF2170.jpg
    DSCF2170.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 3,925
  • DSCF2169.jpg
    DSCF2169.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 3,925
  • DSCF2168.jpg
    DSCF2168.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 3,925
  • DSCF2166.jpg
    DSCF2166.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 3,925
That's a really impressive finish.

If you ever get another, I'd love to see what you could do with an original restoration. (Mine being an unrestored 1963 GT250, which was the Gran Sport frame but with straight alloy bars and an optional 3-speed. I've had it since new.)

:D I think it looks cool!
Nice work.
I LOVE mine and am undergoing a full 'spring clean' on her.
It's my favourite bike...

Fitted some nice Salmon low profile alloy guards,quite a challenge
But look the part.

Took it for a midweek club run yesterday teatime,rode about 30 miles
I absolutely loved the quality of ride,responsive,quick aswell as comfortable.Ok the ratios are not suitable for the hills here in North Wales.
A good leg workout nevertheless.

Don't know what the rage is for Carbon Race bikes
Stick to steel for a memorable experience.

Maybe change the rear freewheel for a 12-28 or 13-25 7 or 8-Speed
Anyone have one lying around

Cipo

Back