Help identifying frame

Am beginning to wonder if I have an early 753 main frame, I just weighed the whole bike complete with the heavy wheels and freewheel, am amazed at how light it all is. The whole lot came in at an astounding 9.12kg or 20lb 1.7oz, I checked it all 3 times and came out with same result, the frame is approx 23" and doesn't have the lightest of components.

The frame handle so well and is a lovely ride, it was certainly build for speed, sadly I'm not :oops:

The gear levers don't have braze-ons but have a small raised piece to stop the clamp from slipping. Will have a browse through some Bob Jackson's to see if anything stands out.

The small braze on to stop a band on friction gear lever slipping down the tube is a bit tricky in that this was a marker of a frame lower than the top frame....

Two choices are the frame was destined to be a frame to show off the full range of campag band on items (Viking / Falcon/ Holdsworth) or it's a cheaper frame in the range.

Shaun

Closet I have come so far is a red Carlton, lug work and forks seem right but the rear stays are wrong, also this has eyes for mudguards. Perhaps I should give up trawling through 1000's of pictures in the hope of finding a match, better I go out and ride the beast :D

Attachments

• Carlton-red-1975.jpg
    Carlton-red-1975.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 472
not any carlton I recognise....the Giro d'italia had shot in stays but they tapered, the Professional also had shot in stays like yours but they went into a definate Lug........

I'd ride it :D

Shaun

That flying scott has fullysloping crown and yours is memi slopiong as far as I can tell. Do touy shot in stays touch at the top ?

Easy to tell if its a Rattray frame......he kept ther numbers and can be contacted.

Shaun

A few final shots of lug work and I will call it a day, this is proving to be a bit of an enigma.

Attachments

• DSC_0128.jpg
    DSC_0128.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC_0130.jpg
    DSC_0130.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC_0132.jpg
    DSC_0132.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC_0134.jpg
    DSC_0134.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 310
I have a similar frame I am trying to identify.
The seat post clamp - is it recessed on the right for a socket head bolt and threaded on the left ?

Blue%2520seatpin.jpg

Blue%2520531.JPG

That looks like a bit later frame, the cable runs on top of the top tube and the Brake bolt look like they are allen key and no nutted. I bet the mech cables go under the bottom bracket.

And Yes, the seat clamp is tightened by an allen key bolt recessed into the clamp.

Shaun

Here's the cluster on my Cliff Shrubb built frameset, badged Geoffrey Butler (but probably built for Jenson), bought new by a friend of my Dad's (rescued from his skip).

Cliff Shrubb has confirmed it's one of his as did the original buyer.

Rk.

Attachments

• SeatCluster.jpg
    SeatCluster.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 280

Latest posts

Back