Found DA EX/7200 cranks with regular pedal threads?

ata

Devout Dirtbag
I´m slowly gathering Dura Ace Ex / 7200 parts for my Gazelle Champion Mondial AA from ´81. I´m not too bothered about scratches, since the frame is well used and I haven´t got the time and funds to hunt for immaculate parts.

Today I received what seem to be FC 7200 cranks to replace the first gen DA cranks currently on there. There´s something odd about them however: regular pedal threads. I have never come across any source that states them to have anything other than the large threads for dyna drive pedals and needing special adapters for regular pedals.

There´s no markings except the Dura Ace name on the outside and the shimano date marks on the inside of both cranks, DF, which should mean they were produced in June 1979, which seems quite early for 7200. Does anyone know what´s the story behind these?

Attachments

• DA voorr.jpg
    DA voorr.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 476
  • DA achter.jpg
    DA achter.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 476
  • DA achterenkel.jpg
    DA achterenkel.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 476
I have a set on a Koga FullPro-L. I don't know the story behind them.

Thanks for the reaction Mel, I´ve seen pictures of your fullpro-L bike and it´s a beauty, but didn´t the cranks have the large dyna drive threadings with adapters? These seem to have been made outright with regular small threads, which made me start the thread.

This FullPro-L has them >>

468513952_22525fbc76_b.jpg

DynaDrive-esque cranks without adapters.

Ah cheers, you´re right. I cannot find any other reference or even picture of them with regular threads, but yours is quite clear. Everything pointed to the first gen cranks being used with the 7200 group if someone wanted to use regular pedals, so I was wondering if they were anything special.

Your assumption on that they are special is correct. I do not know the story behind them, but that they are very rare is something that is clear.

Midlife":28gvrmlw said:
Are you getting rid of your first gen Dura-Ace cranks?

Just curious :)

Shaun

I'm afraid I'll keep it as back up or for a future project (and to feed my ever so slight hoarding tendencies).

Back