What hi fi system you got ?

I used to have some nice stuff when I was younger, but all pretty standard old stuff now...

JVC F300 Turntable

Philips CD 624

Rotel Amp RA 931

Wharfdale S 500's

And a really perky Pioneer XC-L7 Mini in the front room.

Also an i-plod in the Kitchen, can't be bothered looking which model.

al. :D

heres mine..the white ones are for the pc for streaming audio when im watching from the laptop.i love the canons for the unique shape and sound they give off.

Attachments

• IMG_20120702_185142.jpg
    IMG_20120702_185142.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,454
  • IMG_20120702_185242.jpg
    IMG_20120702_185242.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,454
I have most (if not all) of an old Kenwood M-92 system I bought new in (I think) 1988..

Eldest kid picked the foam out of the speakers in 1998 so it's all in the loft, unloved and speakerless.

IDB1 yup i'm a bit afraid my nice Kef's are gonna get their drivers poked, think i'll glue my grills on before the little one gets here ! :shock:

greenstiles":noft04jh said:
IDB1 yup i'm a bit afraid my nice Kef's are gonna get their driver poked, think i'll glue my grills on before the little on gets here ! :shock:

Bit of forward planning may save them.. she picked out the foam and pushed in the dome doohickey in the middle..

Should really replace them one day, would like the amp and turntable in the shed

Mine's all technics - had for 16 years without issue

5+1 CD changer
Amp
Tape deck (twin)
Minidisc player

Speakers are old wharfdales after I killed my mission 900's

Sound is crisp and clean..... Ideally looking for a deck to play all my records too, SL series MKv onwards...

Sony CD player from 1994 (CDP-XE200)
Sony radio tuner from 1980 (ST-A35)
Denon PMA-255UK amp, 2003-ish
Denon twin cassette deck from 1996 (DRW-650)
B&W DM4 speakers from about 1975 (like the ones in this photo...)

20091216115837.jpg

The speakers probably sounded state-of-the-art when they were new, but I suspect that technology has moved on since then.

There's a fella not far from me selling a pair of Mission 760i's on eBay, but I've heard that Mission speakers can sound bright or shrill -- and I prefer a sound that's rich and smooth.

Does anyone have any experience of Mission bookshelf speakers? :?

JohnH":16k0jtqi said:
The speakers probably sounded state-of-the-art when they were new, but I suspect that technology has moved on since then.

There's a fella not far from me selling a pair of Mission 760i's on eBay, but I've heard that Mission speakers can sound bright or shrill -- and I prefer a sound that's rich and smooth.

Does anyone have any experience of Mission bookshelf speakers? :?

No such thing with the DM4s as 'technology' - they use the same technology as a modern speaker - moving coils, cones and a cross-over. The capacitors may have dried out a bit and and would benefit from replacement. The rest of the speaker will have hardly changed except maybe the cone surround. Foam perishes, rubber hardens but in most cases jack shit happens.

The HF units in those speakers are worth quite a bit btw.

As for Mission sounding bright? Never heard of that, ever. More likely a source issue, Rotel had their CD player line out at 3V whereas most other manufacturers were 1.5V instantly giving Rotels a bigger sound.

760i is a good small speaker with a lot of low end from the design. But they are small and probably not as efficient as the DM4.

I would look at replacing the capacitors on the DM4 and leaving it at that.

*edit: looking at your CD player, that would be your weakest link - lower model always sounded a bit naff compared to their more expensive siblings. Look on ebay for rosewood side CD players of old. Their sound from hifi specific laser mechs seems much better than later CD ROM based machines. More time seemed to have been spent on D to A conversion. Machines between about 1986 and 1992 appear to be better than later models. Of course they are getting on a bit but I've always seemed to have found older machines better than their newer equivalents.

Higher end modern still seems to do well but nobody seems to take into account how the music was mastered anymore. There are some awful CD's about and listening to MP3/4 downloads, these vary in mastering quality just as much if not more.

I would look at replacing the capacitors on the DM4 and leaving it at that.

As well as repairing a dust cap that was coming away from the woofer, I replaced some of the crossover components and the internal wiring in a pair of 80s Goodmans speakers:

Before:

Crossover2.jpg

After:

Crossover4.jpg

I was quite pleased with the results, there was a definate improvement in the overall clarity.

Back