'96 Colnago Master Olympic build

This gentleman ... http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/colnago-m ... ympic-2165 ...

...reports that Master Olympics were only produced in 1993 before the IOC kicked up a fuss claiming the Olympics name as exclusively theirs (lol...and there I was thinking Ancient Greece had it bagged!).

Apparently some serial numbers indicate that the frames might be 1994-1998, but that's just a quirk.

Anyway, I've written to their sometimes reliable Laura at Colnago in Italy to get confirmation - though it was her and Kris (Colnago US) who told me the serial number indicated it was a 1996!

I got a definitive reply from the every helpful Laura at Colnago Italy.

It was, like all the other Master Olympics, built in 1993.

It was sold in 1996 with this out of catalogue colour scheme, as a special order for a buyer in Holland who wanted it as a display bike for his personal collection/museum.

He hung classic components on it and had it up on his wall as part of his collection for 16 years!

I contacted Laura too at the beginning of the year and was pleased at the speed of the reply!
It is generally recognised that often the frame numbers bear no connection to the build date. I had to send a picture of my frame for them to come back with the date as this was the case. My frame too was a special colour for a pro Belgian rider :cool:

Good also that you got a definitive date for your bike as thats the difference between a c-record and record build ;)

Your rim decals seem to match the blue in the frame too, a nice little detail :cool:

I have overspent with my bike collection and actually considered dismantling my tecnos over the weekend for ebay but couldn't bring myself to do it. It's the complete opposite to my other understated bikes but a great contrast to them as well. Must just go out and build some kitchens instead :LOL:

Enjoy your build, looking forward to the updates.

ShawnB, I know how you feel.

I now have this Master Olympic frame ready for building (I have everything ready except first choice bars). I have a Ridley Noah frame arriving next month from Dubai; a Cervelo Soloist frame that got stripped but not sold; a built up Ridley Phaeton R I bought to go alongside the Noah as a training ride; a Pinarello Sestriere and a Giant Talon 1.

'Er Indawz (God bless her soul) has been putting up with me doing this for years, so now there is a "one in, one out rule in play.

I get to keep the mtb to ride with our son. I get to keep the Noah as it's the dream bike I always wanted. I get to keep this Master Olympic, as it's the other dream bike I always wanted. I have to shift either the Phaeton or the Sestriere, and I can't make up my mind which one.

If my wife couldn't see the joy cycling and bikes bring to me, and therefore the whole family, I'd be up the creek!

Thankfully, it looks like the way is being smoothed to move out of our 2 bedroom flat before year's end!

Building Kitchens?

Things are coming together slooowly!

(1) I now have the stem I wanted...a 130mm Colnago Pantographed stem with Italian flag.

(2) The Bars are these 43cm 3ttt Gimondi Competizione.

(3) The seatpin will be either of these two beauties...

Velo Orange Grand Cru vs Nitto Lugged...

Both are stunning, and it will be hard to make a decision until the build is complete. The Nitto Lugged is heavier, but the whole build in non-weight-weenie, and so am I!

colnagopinsstembars.jpg

I'd go for the Velo Orange, the Nitto has way too much set-back and doesn't look as good IMHO.

Still looking forward to the finished article.....

Mark.

That is beautiful - some of the psychedelic Colnago paint schemes aren't my cup of tea but they are all stunning-looking frames.

I didn't know about the Olympic copyright issue but after some of the idiocy surrounding this summers London Olympics it's not surprising...

Look forward to seeing this bike finished.

Back