Proflex 856 (Project Retro Full Susser First Build Finished)

elPedro666":3sv8l0hw said:
sylus":3sv8l0hw said:
..the shiny and silver matt go well together

Just what I was thinking :cool:

Cheers guys, i was just playing around with some different combos of colours, as its a build from my spare parts in the Man Cave it may still end up a bit of a mish-mash, but i am confident it will still be pleasing on the eye (Fingers Crossed Hopefully)

Tonight I took the opportunity, and as there was a break in the weather, to do some more fettling on the Proflex,

Parts added tonight are;

Magura HS33's with EVO2 Booster Set-up. *Rear Quick Release was rotated 180 degrees so it could be opened and brake cylinder removed in the event of the rear wheel needing to come off.

STX RC Rear & Front Mech.

STX RC 3 x 8 Shifters.

Hot Rods came off and a nice set of Bontrager Superstock 620mm Bars went on. Kept bars full size as i may fit some Girvin bar ends.

Onza grips, these were trimmed down slightly and fitted.

And a bonus tonight was winning a NOS STX RC 8 Speed Cassette on evilbay for a whole £10.

Not sure about the Crankset right now, got a couple of options so will have a play this weekend.

So far its coming along nicely :D

Attachments

• ProflexMagura2.JPG
    ProflexMagura2.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 634
  • ProflexMagura.JPG
    ProflexMagura.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 634
Ok so its been a while to get it where i want, but now its a fully working bike Had a few issues, and anyone will know that to tighten the front mech cable you need the rear wheel out and a long allen key to reach, however i soon overcome this issue with replacing the allen bolt with a normal hex bolt. Now i can tweak the cable to my hearts content :D

The next issue i had was passing the cable through the hollow rear stay to hook up to the rear mech, now sounds easy but no, the cable had a mind of its own and even when trying to thread it using an outer cable it still got snagged. So i raided the drinks cabinet and connected a few drinking straws together and fed them through. then passed the gear cable through the stay with no problems at all :)

Anyway its a nice sunny day and I've just given it a clean up after having my oily dirty mits all over it, sadly i broke my toe over the weekend so cant ride it properly as my foots all strapped up, however i did trundle down the road and back, but Sssssssssh dont tell my doctor he will be livid!!!! :roll:

Anyway, here it is, my fully STX kitted out Proflex 856 :cool:

Attachments

• DSCF3434.JPG
    DSCF3434.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 577
  • DSCF3435.JPG
    DSCF3435.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 577
  • DSCF3431.JPG
    DSCF3431.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 577
  • DSCF3433.JPG
    DSCF3433.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 577
  • DSCF3426.JPG
    DSCF3426.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 577
Update on the flex, whilst i love Maguras i was not really happy with the set-up of the bike and braking, so after some pondering i came up with this,

NOS STX-RC Cantilevers in Black
1 x Elusive Cantimount for rear Swingarm (Thanks oldskoolbabe)
1 x Cantimount for Girvin Forks
Shimano Canti-levers

Keeping with the STX-RC theme, and wanting to use my Hope/Mavic combos on another build i swapped the wheels over.

And then the biggest update of all, yes thanks again must go to 'oldskoolbabe' for the Noleen rear shock, off came the rather hard elastomers and on went this very capable shock.

Am i happy, well i was pleased with the bike before and despite lacking in plushness for a full susser was content in my posterior acting as cushioning for my rides, now, well its amazing, the feel and smoothness of the bike has really come to the forefront, the loss of some weight from ditching the Maggies is noticeable and yet braking has not been compromised too much.

The bike feels more alive and whilst STX-RC groupsets are often overlooked it does deliver and looks the part too, it doesn't miss a gear and shifting is very precise.

Anyway a few pics, it was getting dark but will get some better pics soon,

enjoy :D

Attachments

• ProflexNoleen.JPG
    ProflexNoleen.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 462
  • ProflexNoleen1.JPG
    ProflexNoleen1.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 462
  • ProflexNoleen2.JPG
    ProflexNoleen2.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 462
spot on mate , the cantis add that finishing touch imo

stx is quite a pretty groupset ,vastly underated too

really nice build

how did you break your toe ?
i ripped the nail of my big toe last week when the dog pushed past me
going up stairs
ooooh it were sore

mikee":2i301bvs said:
spot on mate , the cantis add that finishing touch imo

stx is quite a pretty groupset ,vastly underated too

really nice build

how did you break your toe ?
i ripped the nail of my big toe last week when the dog pushed past me
going up stairs
ooooh it were sore

Thanks, really chuffed with it :D my Toe? Well stubbed it on the bed whilst doing some chores, bed didn't move but toe did and snapped clean in half :( little toe so the worse one to do, took 6 weeks to heal and just before my wedding, thankfully no plaster cast so didn't affect anything :)

:)

Back