Double or triple chainset musings

Two things
1) 26(f)-34(r) is lower than many a retro setup which would have been 26(f)-28(r)
so you're quids in there

2) What do you gain from using the double vs the triple ?

You could always alter your ring config to give more choice
20/30/40 ?
though I know CD 5 arm does this, not sure of 4 arm ?
you get even lower (or can run a closer ratio rear) and top end is the same. and you gain a middle ground.

Though give I regularly run on my 48T rings and find the 44T lacking on my other setups, it wouldn't be for me.

Dead Rats":25s442bv said:
watch out for chainstay clearance with something as big as a 39 in the middle :?:
Don't think that'll be an issue as the double set up uses the outer two positions & not the granny ring mounting position.

It has a 47.5mm chainline to being the two rings a little closer in to the BB to give a better spread of usable gears

It's a 4 bolt system, smallest ring is a 26t in the inner position, which is as FC points out a lower ratio then quite a few retro set ups

Might go up to a 40t outer, but seen as with my 1x9 set up a 32t chainring was enough to keep me going up to 30mph on the road I reckon anything bigger will be a waste on me, I hardly ever use the 'big' ring on triple set ups (44 or 42t)

I reckon a double it is, a 26t small ring & a 39t outer ring

Andy B":2b2quntj said:
Dead Rats":2b2quntj said:
watch out for chainstay clearance with something as big as a 39 in the middle :?:
Don't think that'll be an issue as the double set up uses the outer two positions & not the granny ring mounting position.

It has a 47.5mm chainline to being the two rings a little closer in to the BB to give a better spread of usable gears

It's a 4 bolt system, smallest ring is a 26t in the inner position, which is as FC points out a lower ratio then quite a few retro set ups

Might go up to a 40t outer, but seen as with my 1x9 set up a 32t chainring was enough to keep me going up to 30mph on the road I reckon anything bigger will be a waste on me, I hardly ever use the 'big' ring on triple set ups (44 or 42t)

I reckon a double it is, a 26t small ring & a 39t outer ring

indeed, sorry I thought you were gonna use existing triple cranks :) I was looking to go 38/24 on my inbred using M760 cranks so it's been on my mind

FluffyChicken":69beyafo said:
... What do you gain from using the double vs the triple ?

Bit simpler.

Pedaling felt a bit easier with no big ring.

Depends on how you like to ride .

Won't gain anything if you like grannying up hills then hammering down them :)

Andy B":1tqtfabp said:
I'm currently deciding on which type of chainset to use on my bike
With my triple set ups I do like the lowest ratio gears (cos I'm lazy & unfit) when climbing but hardly ever use the highest ratios when descending

You could get away with just taking off the big un.

Latest posts

Back