9:Zero:7 Fat Bike

looking good ;)

those shifters look ace

its true they are a great allround fun bike to own, my poor old cervelo has been collecting dust since my pug arrived :roll:

will you be making it to the fatbike meet in the lake district :?: i have to work but there should be another later in the year ;)

stubbsy :D

stubbsy":33n6qrlw said:
will you be making it to the fatbike meet in the lake district :?: i have to work but there should be another later in the year ;)

stubbsy :D

I'd love to be there but April and May are bad months for me with the car and m/cycle insurance both due. I'm grabbing all the overtime I can get right now and not to mention that I'm on the wrong side of the Irish sea :cry: . Maybe next time.

I've fitted new brakes - Hope Tech M4 front and X2 rear. The levers allow me to fit the thumbies in a more natural position and the extra stopping power is nice, plus I think they look better :cool: . I pulled them of my Ibis and I think they will be staying here :D

I rode up to Cave Hill on the outskirts of Belfast yesterday for some of the best technical downhill in N Ireland and the fat coped admirably, but a suspension fork would have been appreciated. I'm running the tyres at 6psi after buying a digital pressure gauge and trying different pressures. Higher pressures don't seem to increase speed much, even on the road, and the ride becomes too bouncy and uncomfortable. 5psi and below and they become too draggy on the road but off road they grip like velcro. I timed the road section on one of my usual routes recently which normally takes about 35-40 mins on a regular mtb, depending on the wind. The fat done it in 38 mins with no wind :D . It honestly felt longer but it shows that it's almost as fast as a regular mtb and the sensation of being slow is largely in the head :?

Some pics from yesterday making the most of the heatwave -

20120524-P1020308.jpg

20120524-P1020313.jpg

20120524-P1020317.jpg

Great stuff :cool:

I have noticed recently while riding my hybrid, that the fatbike seems slow while doing my regular 15 mile loops, but infact the times are always with 6-9 minutes or so and average speed is the same.

Great looking bike. I need to try one at some point. Keep looking at saltyman's as well.

Looks like you've got some great riding where you are.

Nice build man!

Back