Lakes Raid 25th Feb - Who's With Me?

Booked!

OK, executive decision - we're staying at Coniston YHA since it's only a mile from where we're meeting on Saturday morning. Booked us a room for 4, note its £80 not £63, hope the extra £4.25 each isn't a deal breaker ;)

Coniston Holly How
Far End
Coniston
Cumbria
LA21 8DD

Directions from Glasgow.

Radek - I'll PM you the booking code for when you and Mark arrive.

Jealous :( Enjoy, and get them to show you the huge quarry up at hodge close, there is a tunnel into it at the bottom

Jealous too plus you'll get to meet up with other retrobikers in the pub for proper beer, might be sore heads on the run. Jennings beers the best though the Snecklifters an aquired taste :D

Bizarrely TK I'll be in Dundee same as you on Saturday, dont worry your safe, I'll be with my girlfriend ;)

I would have said bring your bike and we'll do a road ride. Got to ask though Dundee for a date? Are you mad?

The Ken":2ttt97ps said:
I would have said bring your bike and we'll do a road ride. Got to ask though Dundee for a date? Are you mad?
It can be quite pretty apparently...
TayRailBridge.jpg

That's looking away from dundee ZZ, this is what it is like...
AandD_ES_12919.jpg

(edit to change pic as those multi's have come down now, looks quite nice form fife)

But it does have good people and like most cities some nice areas too, not a lot to visit though for a city, small museum/gallery in centre of town, The Discovery, a hill in the middle and an observatory on another and a very average shopping experience. Plenty of kebab restaurants though should they want a meal.

It is getting better though with more multi's coming down,even if they cleared the junkies and "beggars" from the town it would be a whole lot better.

have they put the roads back yet ?
dundees a fine place as that from fife pic shows , could be anywhere , Kaohsiung ,wuxi,suzho,shantou,yichang,Xiangyang etc

no the roads are still crap, you need a mountainbike for this town, on the roadie I make a beeline for angus or perthshire - the back roads are better than dundee's main roads.

My girlfriends from Edinburgh but her best pals doing up a flat she plans to rent out in Dundee. I reckon she's introducing me to her pal for aproval, women :roll:

Anyroads its an excuse for me to have a visit to Dundee if only for the nostalgia of my student days. First stint was 1988-1990 as a student nurse, wasn't clued up on Dundee or mtb's so had a 10 speed racer. TK's right roadbikes are bad news in the City of Discovery :shock: 2nd stint was 1993 - 1995 as a science HND student and this time I bought my cheapo Townsend MTB, a much more sensible choice, especially as in my 2nd year I lived on top of the Hilltown :)
If jobs in science had been plentiful in Dundee in 1995 I'd have stayed and possibly would still be there now. Great wee city, everything you need but without the annoying tourists :LOL:

However TK if your free on a Saturday in March i'd happily come up for a bit of mtb bimbling. As I've said before, I reckon there will be a wee bit of passable trail somewhere in or near the city if we have an explore.

As for the lakelander troops, have a blast, its great doon there ;)

Is there a time limit for the hostel ?, probably will be quite late when we get there, Radek finishes work at 5.30 so recon it'll be gone 6.00 by the time we are leaving Gasgow.

Back