Easy Fitting Tyres

I have one of those Cyclo tools and I would definitely recommend it. I even use it on tyres I could easily put on without tools because it is so easy and quick to use.

jimo746":1ejox7uq said:
Ps: what's the maximum size tyre you can fit on the MA40? I seem to remember they wouldn't take much more than a 2.0 ?
I've got a 2.1 Conti on, was hoping to get a 2.4 Conti on but the bead is just too damn had to get on. I've spent many a year on bikes and worked in a bike shop for a while so know the tricks for getting tyres on and off, just helped a mate stick some tiogas on for a ride tomorrow and I was able to put them on by hand without any effort.

As rubber is mightly expensive these days, gonna keep a look out for some Kevlar folders as these I can get on, but the ones I have are 1.9's which wont suit the terrain that I'm going on with the South West crew tomorrow :LOL:

2.4 ?!! :-0. For the width of the MA40 rim that's off the scale, 2.1 should be ok though, I'm sure though that in ye olden days a 2.1 tyre was narrower than a modern 2.1 tyre... or maybe that's just my memory playing tricks.

Anyway, if you're hitting the kind of terrain that you'll need 2.4 tyres for then you may want to think about using dome beefier rims.

I had an MA40 and broke plastic tire irons putting tires on it. Hardest tire mount I have ever had. They are a bi+ch. I had heard that Keith Bontrager re-rolled road bike rims into the MA40. ANyone else every hear of it?

Thunderchild

2.4, sorry slip of the very sore fingers. Mean't a 2.3. you may be right about the widths, of old tyres as I used to have 2.1 on the back and 2.3 up front years ago think they were richey wcs tyres of some sort and real gits to get on as well.

Got a pair of S works storm tyres that are a bastard to fit on a pair of mavic 717 rims.But fit easily onto another pair of wheels that have 719 rims. What's all that about /

Will try one of these tool thingys.......................

Reading above I seem to think this is a Continental tyres problem.

I have tried to fit both a very skinny pair and some 2.0 semi-slicks today and can get neither pair on.

As I get to put the final bead in place it comes off the rim in another place. Never had this problem with any other make of tyre!

Back