Im sorry but...

I like bikes with round straight metal tubes (my modern bike has a tiny bit or hydroforming but it's hardly noticable ;) ), not to much sus, not to many gears (27 max), and I like both rim an disc brakes. Oh and 26" wheels.

I don't care what they look like, If they ride nicely and do the job I want, then they are the right bike, whether 20 years old or new.

Currently building a modern-ish '08 full sus, but have a strong desire to own a decent rigid from bitd. The 3 that I wanted way back when was a orange clock work, a zaskar and a kona cindercone. Will prolly give the zaskar a miss as their seems to be a fair few on here. Think I will end up with a clockwork but I do like aheadset so will be a later one just after my biking yoof.

It's a bit like the Road Vs MTB debate.
I ride both - although I appear to be favouring offroad at the moment - must be all these RB rides :)
I have one pre98 MTB - which I love riding - and three 96-99 bikes which I thoroghly enjoy.
And I have two current-ish (for me) road bikes and I like getting out on those too.

Just depends what you're gonna ride - I'm not taking the AluO to Brechfa - and the full sus doesn't do that many miles on the canal towpath.

Horses for courses - there is no right or wrong - we're just out riding bikes

I started riding in 1990 and my skills/fitness were of a suitable level to start buying high end by 92. Finances didn't get there till 96 though (with exception of the Dave Yates frame).....

Aesthetically and "emotionally" the golden age for me is 93-7.

However - I have to say that the millennium marked a point after which very little has happened except that looking backward became the new looking forwards.

Air suspension forks that worked - well - always - with lockout - circa 2000
Good FS frames - 2003 or so.
9 speed - 97
Tubeless - 2001
Reliable disc brakes - 98 or so - Mini.
Really comfy saddles - 2001 or so. Specialized Body Geometry.
Oversize bars - 2002 or thereabouts - if we ignore Haro.
Really good tyres - 99 or so - Nobby Nics and Racing Ralphs.

Since then we've got what? An extra inch travel that we didn't really need. 10 speed. Budget carbon fibre.

No folks. The golden age was 97-2003. Also on road bikes. Only innovation of "slight" significance is electronic shifting and the rise of the MAMIL.

Question is whether hydraulic brakes on cross bikes and FS 29ers will have such an impact that 2013-7 innovations will have the same longevity as those that came in 10 years agol

I got in to mountain biking in 1996, so that's 'retro' to me. Can remember reading through MBUK looking at GT LTS's, RTS's, Zaskars, RS Judy forks etc. Was quite lucky to be able to have most of the bikes I wanted, as my 'want' level was always mid-range. First proper bike was a Raleigh M-Trax with Ti main tubes and RS Quadra 10 forks. Loved it. I drifted out keeping up with new bikes until buying a new bike in 2009. Plenty of second-hand bikes in between those years.

I guess I don't fully appreciate anything too far before 1996 as they were before my time. However can appreciate most bikes, being a complete bike nut. You want a 100% original bike down to every last detail, fully respect you for it. You want to update an old frame to run discs etc, again, fully respect that. It's all good. As long as everyone is keeping themselves happy chasing dream bikes and riding when they can, it's all good :)

This site has let me look back at the early years when I got in to cycling and again I get to druel over lovely bikes, whilst also appreciating all things modern. Keep up the good work everyone!

Back