New Trail in the Lincolnshire Wolds

My girlfriend and I drove out to South Ormsby and did a bit of the southern section of this.
We got quite lost.
I found out what the granny ring is for.
I now really need a shower and a large, cold drink.

I will watch this one with interest as I used to ride the Wolds in the early nineties when I lived near Sleaford
I say we all go out to play when it opens its a great idea :D

XitUp":e9gylqaf said:
My girlfriend and I drove out to South Ormsby and did a bit of the southern section of this.
We got quite lost.
I found out what the granny ring is for.
I now really need a shower and a large, cold drink.

What were the tracks like? As it's aimed as an equestrian route I presume they are quite hard packed and smooth.

Why did you get lost, poor signage?

Hi all,
The Lindsey Trail is being opened on 29th April at 11.00 at Willingham Woods, Market Rasen. The trail is now signed but the signs are quite small (purple with a sort of wheel motif) and if you're not sure of the area I would recommend the OS Explorer maps 273 Wolds South (Horncastle & Woodhall Spa) and 282 Wolds North (Louth and Market Rasen).
The trail is now 69 miles with 47 on quiet roads and 22 off road - the off road we've done so far is on reasonable tracks.
Not many tea stops on route but plenty of pubs in the villages. Cafes just off route: Horncastle (loads), Stockwith Mill just north of Hagworthingham (cross the A158 in the village and the trail takes you down the road and left onto a bridleway - to get to Stockwith, just carry on a bit further down the hill on the road and it's on the left - I recommend the HUGE scones). Then there's a decent one at Tetford at the fishing lake - you'll work off the cake afterwards as all the roads out of the village are up hills). Coffee shop in Tealby (not been in it) and a good one at Walesby. Loads of choice in Market Rasen.
Unfortunately, we can't make it on 29th but I hope we'll see a few of you out there at some point over the coming months. If you see a bloke on an Orange and a short creaky old bird on a blue Cannondale - that's us!

Salsprocket":296oob26 said:
Hi all,
The Lindsey Trail is being opened on 29th April at 11.00 at Willingham Woods, Market Rasen. The trail is now signed but the signs are quite small (purple with a sort of wheel motif) and if you're not sure of the area I would recommend the OS Explorer maps 273 Wolds South (Horncastle & Woodhall Spa) and 282 Wolds North (Louth and Market Rasen).
The trail is now 69 miles with 47 on quiet roads and 22 off road - the off road we've done so far is on reasonable tracks.
Not many tea stops on route but plenty of pubs in the villages. Cafes just off route: Horncastle (loads), Stockwith Mill just north of Hagworthingham (cross the A158 in the village and the trail takes you down the road and left onto a bridleway - to get to Stockwith, just carry on a bit further down the hill on the road and it's on the left - I recommend the HUGE scones). Then there's a decent one at Tetford at the fishing lake - you'll work off the cake afterwards as all the roads out of the village are up hills). Coffee shop in Tealby (not been in it) and a good one at Walesby. Loads of choice in Market Rasen.
Unfortunately, we can't make it on 29th but I hope we'll see a few of you out there at some point over the coming months. If you see a bloke on an Orange and a short creaky old bird on a blue Cannondale - that's us!

Great info Salsprocket.

Any chance of marking which parts are off road on the map on page 1?

All being well we will do at least some of the trail on the 29th.

Ok, I had a look at doing colouring-in on the map and I think I will just confuse us all. So I had a quick check of the Lincs CC website and they've done a whole load more maps showing various parts of the trail which hopefully you will get to by following this .... http://microsites.lincolnshire.gov.uk/c ... 95.article
The maps show which bits are on road and which are off road.
If that link doesn't work then you can get to it by Googling (other search engines are available) Linc county council lindsey trail.
Hope that helps!

Back