collecting on a budget

Oh and mike j
i have been asked to make an offer on an award winning? Carlton Corsa in mint condition,what should i offer
Thanks John

thanks for the link to the phillips , still cant make my mind up on how to do my frame . i agree re shiny bikes .

keep up the good work

stick with it

Nothing wrong with mass market bikes, most of us built our appreciation of cycling having started with these bikes. if it makes you happy and you can preserve some of our cycling heritage whats wrong with that.

Cheers for that,
my sentiments exactly,i want all the crap no one else wants

the austin allegro is being sought after now! so you never know

Grey Porridge - Explanation.

Perhaps I should have made myself clear...you mention the Austin Allegro: that car is grey porridge, this does not mean it is"crap".

A motorcycle like the BSA C15 is also grey porridge, this does not mean that that is"crap".

With regard to yours being a poor man's collection (that is your view), nearly all of my so-called collection have been in my family from new (1947 Hetchins bought new by my Grandad, 1951 Hobbs of Barbican bought new by my Wife's Dad, the two Raleighs-SBDU and LU bought new by me) I could go on.

I am therefore not a collector as such, and once had an Austin Allegro and it wasn't a bad car, but it is grey porridge. I own amongst others a Volvo 745, it is definitely grey porridge but not"crap". To reclaim some car credibility :D I also own a Mercedes 500E - but maybe no-one will know what one of those is - but it is desirable and not grey porridge.

Retrobike member's have a wide range of interests and a lively debate is often the result.

Roadking.

Someone pass that man a shovel. . . explaining a blunt put-down does not change it from being a put-down. . . brilliant :LOL:

Johntomjoe, as the RetroBIKE logo top left says, "if it's old school it's in" so don't listen to the elitists on here.

Just because we don't ride a 1982 Colnago or an original Holdsworth Professional doesn't mean we can't proudly show off our bikes, and I think it's great that you're breathing new life into the less exotic models and having some fun.

My only roadbike is a from-new 1980's lightweight-ish Raleigh that covers thousands of miles year-round. It's got (shock! horror!) some modern components and I'll get it resprayed in a non-original colour (shock again!) soon, but I love it and like the feeling of being part of this retro-bike subculture, even if I'm not in The Elite Group.

The good thing about this forum is that most of us are oldish gits like me so tend not to go in for the sort of flaming that many forums suffer. I'm sure Roadking is a lovely chap and that his rush of blood to the head was just because he forgot to take his medication. . .

Ross 1964":gi3204id said:
Someone pass that man a shovel. . . explaining a blunt put-down does not change it from being a put-down. . . brilliant :LOL:

I'm sure Roadking is a lovely chap and that his rush of blood to the head was just because he forgot to take his medication. . .

I am a lovely chap, and an old git (but not an old timer) too, you've put me down now :D .

Balance is therefore restored.

I've worked hard and been fortunate in being able afford to buy some nice things over the years - if that makes me elitist so be it.

Roadking.

Back