Suntour Wishbone Shifters

Rarest rocking horse poo ever. I was searching for a set for my ( non-internet ) mate for 3 years. When they turned up he just said " BUY THEM!! "

I have four pairs just now:

2x top end alloy version, one of which is NOS boxed, the other looks to be NOS but not boxed
1x low-end plastic / steel version (actually lighter than the alloy ones!) on my On-One Inbred Barry White
1x low-end plastic / steel version with cable adjusters just arrived in the post. Not seen this version before, thought there were only two variants.

All versions are 7-speed AFAIK, but you can get an eighth friction gear by 'overshifting' past the last click.

DoctorRad":o3tzxaoy said:
I have four pairs just now:

2x top end alloy version, one of which is NOS boxed, the other looks to be NOS but not boxed
1x low-end plastic / steel version (actually lighter than the alloy ones!) on my On-One Inbred Barry White
1x low-end plastic / steel version with cable adjusters just arrived in the post. Not seen this version before, thought there were only two variants.

All versions are 7-speed AFAIK, but you can get an eighth friction gear by 'overshifting' past the last click.
Nice, do you have photos from these low end shifters?

Tommy

Before the set I've just received arrived, I'd had two sets of the low-end wishbones through my hands. The first I bought in Germany in 1992 and had worn out by 1996. They looked like this:

http://www.firstflightbikes.com/Shift50.jpg

No cable adjusters, and from above the lever looks like a straight thumbshifter with a second lever out of the side. The set which is now on my Inbred are the same, bought on eBay for £3.99 inc postage :D

The set I've just received are like the XCM / XCT / XCU wishbones pictured here, cable adjusters all present and correct and a lever which branches halfway like the XC Pro version:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... ewsIndex=1

As I say, I've never seen a set like this before, and I didn't know there were variations in the low-end wishbones before I started researching them today.

Though the three low-end groupsets above have the same wishbone shifter pictured, the catalogue numbers are different. I would therefore appear to have two of the three low-end variants, but I have no idea how the third one differs as I've never seen photos.

Bear in mind, AFAIK, that wishbones were never specced OEM on any bike, which is a major contribution to their relative rarity.

Back