Hambleton Hills 7th of August, + Aftermath & Pics

gil_m":1x56p40r said:
Sorry guys, already booked out on the Ryedale Rumble Sportif!

It will be retro themed though I will be in the same area even and riding my Bonty CX bike

Have a good one and hope the weather holds off :)

Shit! Are you doing the full route?? I would hate climbing up Boltby Bank knowing i had another hundred miles of hills still to ride.

Best of luck big man.

well it's been raining/thunderstorms all day here, but weather forecast looks better for tomorrow. Should be nice & muddy :LOL:

jimo746":34qm4hmv said:
well it's been raining/thunderstorms all day here, but weather forecast looks better for tomorrow. Should be nice & muddy :LOL:

Yes I know Ive been chest deep in the north sea recovering my lobster pots before the swell comes :shock:

Its a bit scary when its lighting and your the highest thing in the sea :LOL:

Also I can't find my mud tyres so I'll be on my slick summer tyres, looks like it maybe an interesting ride tomorrow :LOL:

Unfortunately I will not be attending, yesterdays cold has developed into full-blown man flu :(
looks like a nice day outside too, have a good one all.

Its a lovely sunny Sunday, will see those who are coming in the car park at the visitors center :D

Morning!

See ya there, just about to fuel myself up

Hopefully I'll blow the remnants of my cold away today with some fresh air and profanities ;)

Kaya's Killer Loop

In a slight change to our normal programming due to a technical hitch 'Plan B' was hastily formed.

After meeting Kaya at the carpark and chatting for a bit we decided to actually pay for our car park tickets and have a wander round to see who else had turned up

Just Kaya and myself for this epic then

I unload the bike from the car and start to do up the allen key skewer on the front wheel

'Snap' followed by 'boing... rattle rattle' as the nut shears and lands about 3 feet away & off goes the spring AWOL never to be seen again...

Shit, I just snapped my front skewer :evil:

Well that's it, game over :roll:

....or not...

Seen as it was only Kaya and myself we decided to still carry on with a ride, a proper Plan B of a ride.

First things first, a detour to Chez Kaya for a spare front skewer so that I can actually ride my damn bike!

Then another short journey in the cars back into the moors to actually start this ride :LOL:

We started off at Scaling Dam Reservoir and did over 23 miles of moorland, farmland and minor roads, passing through Lealholm, Glaisdale, Fryup, Ainthorpe and Danby.

We also passed through a herd of rather bemused cattle, I think Kaya was a sheepdog in a previous life, boy can he can herd cattle :LOL:

With over 2200 ft of climbing it was one hell of a killer loop for me

GPS route log here: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/104781395

Excellent day on the bikes all things considered :LOL:

I am absolutely shattered!

Massive thanks to Kaya for keeping me going with the skewer, leading the route which was epic & also for keeping me going with the near constant conversation which kept my mind off the fact that my legs died after the near 5 mile climb up to the highest point of the route which was only 11 miles into the 23 mile route!

No pics from me, but Kaya should have some to post up later

Looking forward to seeing any pics, thats a beautiful part of the moors and I can appreciate that it really must have been a killer route :LOL:

Was that one of the Halo skewers I recommended to you Andy? :oops:

chrisv40":2h9iyaui said:
Looking forward to seeing any pics, thats a beautiful part of the moors and I can appreciate that it really must have been a killer route :LOL:

Was that one of the Halo skewers I recommended to you Andy? :oops:
Yup, the front one.

I didn't go on your recommendation though, I only bought them as they were purple and quite tidy looking

Pro tip: be very careful how tight you do them up, I certainly didn't swing on the 3" long allen key I used to tighten it up. The skewer sheared at the point where the nut was upto on the threads,no warning, no stretching, just bang one dead skewer.

Kiler route doesn't even come close!

One climb, almost 5 miles long with a gain of 900 feet in altitude :shock:

Thanks for the good company Andy, sorry if it was a bit hilly ;) but its all good practice.
One rain shower, one puncher, one broken skewer and one long hill I think I see a pattern forming.

The start No1
Picture071.jpg

Restart
Picture072.jpg

The problematic front wheel again
Picture074.jpg

Five miles and still climbing
Picture076.jpg

Moorland views
Picture077.jpg

Long and winding road
Picture079.jpg

"Andy the Great" King of the Glaisdale corkscrew
Picture081.jpg

Secret hideaway
Picture082.jpg

Bike of the ride ?
Picture085.jpg

Thanks for a great day out........... see you next Sunday.......... ;)

Back