95 RM Vertex - R.I.P.

Major22":y49hxd50 said:
^^I was looking at the area directly below the "e" in Easton, but on closer inspection it looks more like a scratch than a crack.

yep, just a scratch, which ripped through part of the Easton Triple Taper Stay decal.

mikeekim89":y49hxd50 said:
I think that's a very good idea. It's a shame too retire such a beautiful frame. A new headtube and a respray and you'd be great.

If you do end up doing that over keeping it as art. Please would you let me know. :D

well repairing it would mean losing the original paint and the majority of the decals, which in this case would be a great loss considering how good shape both are. :(

send me a PM if you are seriously interested in this. ;)

Damn shame. Same circumstances with my Kula. Bought it, got home, started stripping it and there it was. A big ol crack.

Ebaystuff032.jpg

Rally_cat":iyu5z598 said:
Damn shame. Same circumstances with my Kula. Bought it, got home, started stripping it and there it was. A big ol crack.

Ebaystuff032.jpg

My '94 Kula cracked in exactly the same place,it made one hell of a bang when it did :?

I sent it to a frame builder somewhere "oop north" and he replaced the head tube and gave it a respray (this was in about '96).

I rode it a few times but it never felt "right" so i sold it to some bloke in Finland :)

My understanding is that replacing the head tube on an aluminium frame isn't really a viable option, especially as the overall cost would well exceed the value of the frame. I feel sure I've heard of people getting away with having the crack closed, rewelded and externally reinforced though. Presumably a steel band outside, if there's room below the down tube. Needn't be too unsightly, and could give some more years of life.

let's see how this goes ;)

thanks goes to trail_head for the assist in the pre-weld prep work. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2602.JPG
    IMG_2602.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 464
Back