It will be the only one in the world Merlin Di2- Finished

Hey chief. Truly lives up to the billing. Not everyone's cup of tea but all should admire your vision and guts to see it through.

Two quickies:

- how secure are all the fixings (batteries etc) cos it looks like they're plastic held on by the bottle bosses. I'd be paranoid the slamming around might mean they crack and fall off?

- what is that black thing on the non drive side chain stay?

TL

trickylad":a5g8wx0i said:
Hey chief. Truly lives up to the billing. Not everyone's cup of tea but all should admire your vision and guts to see it through.

Two quickies:

- how secure are all the fixings (batteries etc) cos it looks like they're plastic held on by the bottle bosses. I'd be paranoid the slamming around might mean they crack and fall off?

- what is that black thing on the non drive side chain stay?

TL

the black strip that holds the battery is about 5mm thick and the plastic is the sort of plastic that you can bend and it still won't break. I went through breaking bumps at a fast rate and none of the equipment has budged.

the black duffer on the non drive side is the cadence and speedo for the garmin computer. I thought since this was an electronic bike why not go the full hog and embrace the full capabilities of electronic's.

Shimano over build everything like for instance the battery only needs to slip into place but that ain't good enough for shimano so they made it so that it not only slides in and clicks but then you have a catch that then locks it in.

people saying it dont work in the rain are talking wet (sorry about the pun). it rained hard allday on sunday and it was kicking up wet sand and mud and bramble and stones. I then came home and did not wash the bike and yesterday i pressed the button to see if she would shift after standing for a day with no love and hey presto it changed without a hitch. I must say though the chain needs some lube me thinks.

I am going out on it today because she has had the water test, now its time for the mud test now that the sun is just drying out the water. i will keep you updated.

thanks andy

marinito":29x8q21j said:
Anxiously awaiting for the update...cheers, mate.

Well what a day with Di ******* 2. I am so thick i spent the day trying to drown it, get mud in the system and then i thought what on earth am i trying to do here, ITS A SEAL ******* SYSTEM so how can anything get in. So i let the system be and thought lets see how accurate i could be at changing gears when going full bore through single track with roots and trees either side, well after an hour of this silliness i realised that if you press the button up twice then the rear mech will move twice and if i press the button down twice or even three times then the mech will move the same amount of times.

What i'm trying to say is that i was running around like a twat trying to get this thing to miss a beat, but it can't due to the simpleton mecanics of the system, if you press P on a keyboard then P will appear. The system is that simple, one press one movement. I never even got the satifaction of Mud Clog in the cassette due to the fact that there is no space for mud.

Another twatie thing that happened to me is that shimano say you cant use more than a 27 tooth block with the dura ace mech, well i have just put a xtr 34 tooth on and the rear mech did not like it, but it liked a 32 once i set the screw so the jockey wheel did not hit the 32 tooth. I do know that if i ran this system with the 34 tooth it would wear out in a week and if i run the 32 tooth it will still wear out quite quickly.

So after much thought i am now going to use the dura ace 28 tooth or a 30 tooth cassette

I dont know what i have acheived with all that ranting, but i can assure all and sundry that di2 works on a mountain bike out in the hills, mud, rain, grit, sand, clay, or in your mamma's back yard, but i don't think my Garmin now works, and how do you clean this darn bike.

thanks andy

any123":1ipgl6ie said:
marinito":1ipgl6ie said:
Anxiously awaiting for the update...cheers, mate.

Another twatie thing that happened to me is that shimano say you cant use more than a 27 tooth block with the dura ace mech, well i have just put a xtr 34 tooth on and the rear mech did not like it, but it liked a 32 once i set the screw so the jockey wheel did not hit the 32 tooth. I do know that if i ran this system with the 34 tooth it would wear out in a week and if i run the 32 tooth it will still wear out quite quickly.

So after much thought i am now going to use the dura ace 28 tooth or a 30 tooth cassette

I dont know what i have acheived with all that ranting, but i can assure all and sundry that di2 works on a mountain bike out in the hills, mud, rain, grit, sand, clay, or in your mamma's back yard, but i don't think my Garmin now works, and how do you clean this darn bike.

thanks andy

Well, why don´t you try with a 10T jockey wheel in order to get enough clearance for the 32 tooth sprocket?

uno-speedo":yrk4hue7 said:
How's the shifting under load, especially when you're mashing up a hill for instance?

On the front or rear you can change from standstill, it will be at mayhem tomoz

any123":r4d2e4n2 said:
uno-speedo":r4d2e4n2 said:
How's the shifting under load, especially when you're mashing up a hill for instance?

The chain moves cogs at standstill? :shock:

suburbanreuben":31lb8r2w said:
any123":31lb8r2w said:
uno-speedo":31lb8r2w said:

The chain moves cogs at standstill? :shock:

you know what i mean, under load it still shifts instantly with no noise. I changed gear on take off

thanks andy

Back