Advice - Shimano LX or Raceface evolve xc

I have access to a 1996 STX-RC chainset (see my gallery - GT Tequesta ) but alas, this is a 5 arm version. The 1998 LX Chainset is also pictured on the GT Zaskar in my gallery.

main.php

This chainset? well that's MUCH older than 1998 and a completely different beast.

5 arm 110BCD from the early 90's (1991/2).

Yes, that's the one I thought was a 1998 LX.
I built the bike from new frameset upwards, so I can't remember where I bought this chainset from - most likely mail order out of MBUK magazine or similar. I never really felt that it was good enough for the frameset ( rear mech, Hubs & shifters are XT) but at the time it was all I could afford.
I always intended to upgrade - but newer bikes got in the way, so the Zaskar is still currently kitted out as it was when I first built her back in 98.

I was going to sell the Zaskar, but can't bring myself to do it, so I will keep it & if possible improve it where I left off.
Question: with a limited budget, what upgrades can you guys suggest that would improve (and lighten) up a very decent frame?

FluffyChicken":3vsp5hhq said:
main.php

This chainset? well that's MUCH older than 1998 and a completely different beast.

5 arm 110BCD from the early 90's (1991/2).

Yep, you're right. I've had a good look at the chainset & it is a Shimano SG C-46.

I have at my disposal to replace this chainset: Shimano Deore LX (Hollowtech II) or Raceface Ride (XC (X type) - or keep the current BB & fit my 1996 STX-RC chainset. (more in keeping with the era) Any advice would be welcome.

Well the current bottom bracket will be too long for the STX-RC, or at least it should be (i.e. current is 122.5, STX-RC will need 110)

so got either of the other. Try and and see if you like it.

(there will be FC-M550 on the back of the arms most likely of your current LX chainset. SG C-46 is the code for the top chainring ;))

In the end I fitted an XT hollowtech II BB (BB70B) with Deore LX chainset...

Photo is in my gallery, not very retro - but I don't think it has spoiled the look, I've kept the long low-rise stem, & the Ritchey seatpost is of the era

Back