Croce d' Aune rear mech synchronized with 10spd shifters

Mans

Dirt Disciple
Has anyone tried to synchronize Croce d' Aune rear mech with Chorus 10spd cassette and ergo levers?
Any tips, as I refuse to believe it cannot be done!

The CDA mech is not compatible with indexing because it does not have a cable tension adjuster. However if you use downtube guides with tension adjusters I reckon it'll be doable. I have seen a 1st Gen Athena mech being used with Ergo's.

Give it a go and let us know how you get on.

I have successfully run an old superrecord with 10 speed. an aduster makes things easier thats all.

I don't think it will work.

In 2001 Campag changed the leverage in their mechs and the amount of cable pull per click. While I've got old late 80's / early 90's stuff to work with later ergos, it's always been stuff built before the change.

However, suck it and see. The worst case is that you'll have to swap to another mech. You could try hubbub - style cable clamping for example.

Why would I want to ?

I like the feel and aesthetics of the older Campagnolo components. They have more character. They are things of beauty. When I was a school boy I used to go to the local bike shop and gaze in ore at the latest Campagnolo Record groupset, Modol Kronos Delta brakeset and such like items.
The current groupsets as you well know are in excess of £1000.... , thats when I thought enough is enough. I can't afford it. Time to go retro.
I want to contine using my exsisting Campag Chorus 10speed components with earlier Campag groupset componentry....the objet d'art of my youth.
On a simillar topic see link below about rear shifting.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=3946

@ Hamster "I don't think it will work."

I fear you might be right. It changes down to the low gears fine. The cable get very taught towards the higher gear end. When shifting the lever it feels very very stiff.
There is a device on the market called shift-mate, .....will look into it and let you know how I get on.

This seems to be the main topic of discussion today. That CTC link keeps appearing everywhere!

I reckon there will be a J-Tek Shiftmate that will do the job, but there are other alternatives. One option is to machine your own narrower spacers. The other option would be to buy some wide steel washers, and experiment with clamping the cable at different locations from the conventional clamp spot à la the Hubbub modification. This effectively changes the shift ratio. You may be lucky and hit upon a "sweet spot". If you do, mark it carefully, and use a hacksaw to cut a groove in the washer so that the cable will always sit in the ideal spot.

Also, you can eliminate some of the sloppiness in the rear derailleur by replacing the jockey wheels with modern ones. There may still be some slop in the spring though.

If the derailleur is in good condition, a solution can probably be found.

I bet it will. I happily run 10 speed Veloce (which are way more fussy than decent stuff) with ancient mechs. currently on 70's super record rear mech and record front on a 28/28/48 chainset and 13/27 10 speed shimano cassette. its fine. I always reckon that a touch of wear allows for any tiny misalignments. why not try it first?

Back