GPH Heswall 531ST

tonyf39

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My recently accquired GPH Heswall 531ST, fits me like a glove & is lovely to ride.
59cm c-t & 57cm c-c top tube.
Came with Record hubs & Mavic anodised MA40's which I've replaced with newer late 80's Campy/Suntour sealed hubs on Wolber Super Champion Modele 58 rims. Smooth as butter :)
Brooks B17 Champion Narrow (billy no name seatpin soon to be replaced)
Shimano 600; non indexed shifters, single pot brake calipers plus non aero levers & long cage rear.
Sedis Chain
Sakae; Bottom bracket, Compact cranks 50/36, handlebars
SR Forged stem.
Lyotard pedals/Christophe clips & Grand Premio straps.
Tange Headset
ESGE Mudguards
Weight 11.1kg

3761166453_7302c84c5a_b.jpg

GPH = Geoff Hughes, a long time member of the Birkenhead North End CC who was a very good local rider in the 60's and 70's (possibly longer?).

As ridden by Chris Boardman in his junior days in TT's.

A nice looking bike, perfect for long steady miles.

Old Ned":2n773776 said:
GPH = Geoff Hughes, a long time member of the Birkenhead North End CC who was a very good local rider in the 60's and 70's (possibly longer?).

As ridden by Chris Boardman in his junior days in TT's.

A nice looking bike, perfect for long steady miles.

Thanks for the info, couldn't make out the signature on the bike, the only legible bit was Heswall cycles which I could find nothing about though obviously Heswall is just the other side of the M53 to Birkenhead.
I bought it off a chap who's son was into track so not suitable, they said it was given to them by some old ex-army officer.
Now for the rain to subside a bit :)

Iv got one of those

I have one of those badboys, i got it for free and the stem snapped on the ride home from work, new stem comes tomorrow i will post up some pics to make yours look shinier and nicer

Re: Iv got one of those

Blanch":1v02a8jh said:
I have one of those badboys, i got it for free and the stem snapped on the ride home from work, new stem comes tomorrow i will post up some pics to make yours look shinier and nicer
Nice one, to my mind this is a lush an audax set up as I'd want, nothing to go wrong (much!) lovely looking and perfectly functional.
There is a website called merseyside bicycles with more info and other bikes from scouse land :cool: http://merseysidebicycles.blogspot.com/ ... -results=7

The long awaited GPH

Sorry it has been a while since i have upladed the photos of my GPH its taken me a while to figure out how to shrink down photos so that they can be uploaded.
It is now my daily ride to work when its not raining or i have a bout of drivey-itis and skive off riding.

Attachments

• Rust-Lightening.jpeg
    Rust-Lightening.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 3,061
My GPH

I Recently aquired an early 80's frame and components built By Geoff Hughes (GPH). I am told most of the parts are the originals too, except tyres of course. Currently stripped and being cleaned and refurbed a little. will post a picture if i can shrink one down to fit the file requirements. It is a deep burgundy metallic colour with part chromed stays and chrome forks, all 531 tubing etc. Michellin racing tubs, gran compe brakes,

Attachments

• IMG-20110515-00167.jpg
    IMG-20110515-00167.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 2,211
Re: My GPH

amgpainter":2682oetc said:
I Recently aquired an early 80's frame and components built By Geoff Hughes (GPH). I am told most of the parts are the originals too, except tyres of course. Currently stripped and being cleaned and refurbed a little. will post a picture if i can shrink one down to fit the file requirements. It is a deep burgundy metallic colour with part chromed stays and chrome forks, all 531 tubing etc. Michellin racing tubs, gran compe brakes,
You can load the photo onto something like Flickr or other photo host website then grab the link & insert it here which is what I did with mine.

GPH 80s bike

amgpainter's GPH looks very similar to my long-lost and much-missed bike but I'm pretty sure mine only had chrome drop-outs, not the whole fork. From memory, and it's a long time ago (for me), I had Record derailleurs and hubs, Mavic route tubeless rims, can't remember the brakes.

Geoff sold a number of frames in this gorgeous colour. It was bought for me by my Dad after good A Level results (in '83/4) and like a muppet I sold it after a couple of years at college :oops: - to a merchant seaman from Sweden, I think - through an ad in the Post or the Wirral Globe.

Have spent many years mourning the loss and kicking myself, it's great to see a bike of the same colour still going strong! If anyone else has a metallic burgundy GPH it would be great to see a pic.

Back