1991/92 Marin Muirwoods - Parts Bin Single Speed

NakedGav

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I'd been tempted to try single speed for a while so when this frame came up cheap I couldn't resist the iconic colour scheme as a base for the project.
While I was scratching the SS itch I figured I may as well scratch the wheel building one as well so this is my first attempt on both scores !
It is mainly a parts bin special, with some bits treated to a touch of rattle can colour coding, just to see how I get on with it.
It had it's first outing on Saturday and apart from an annoying rattle, which is now sorted, I think I could get used to it - as long as I avoid anything too hilly !

Frame: 1991/92 Marin Muirwoods
Fork: Marin

Headset: Shimano LX
Stem: Marin
Handlebar: Unbranded
Grips: Ritchey True Grip

Brakes: Shimano LX
Brake Pads: Madison Aztec
Brake Cables: Clarks
Cantilever cable hangers: TecArt
Brake Levers: Dia Compe Drilled SS7

Freewheel: Dicta 18t Screw On
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Shimano LX
Crank Bolts: Shimano LX
Chainring: Shimano 42t
Chainring bolts: Unbranded
Bottom Bracket: Shimano
Tensioner: Gutted & trimmed Shimano LX Rear Mech
Pedals: Wellgo WPD800

Hub Skewers: Odyssey Svelte
Rims: Mavic Oxygen M6 CD
Hubs: Shimano Deore MT60/Sachs Screw on
Nipples: Alloy
Spokes: Plain Gauge
Tyres: Continental Cross Country 1.5
Tubes: Specialized

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seatpost: Kalloy
Seatpost Binder: Marin

Attachments

• P1010364.JPG
    P1010364.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 2,470
  • P1010365.JPG
    P1010365.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 2,470
  • P1010363.JPG
    P1010363.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 2,471
A great looking bike that outrode a lot of more illustrious machinery at the Sherwood ride. The matching green hubs are a master stroke, Gav, I might have to nick that idea when I get round to re-painting my Muirwoods!

Get to something like a 2:1 gear ratio and then ride it loads. :cool:

You'll get fitter and tougher and wonder why anyone needs gears. It worked for me.

Love the hubs/derailleur.

Hard man SS talk aside - watch your knees - I tore the cartilage in my right knee climbing out of the saddle on a very steep hill - now my doctor says no more SS for me. :(

Thanks for the kind comments guys :D

hamster":27sh4bp4 said:
Get to something like a 2:1 gear ratio and then ride it loads. :cool:

You'll get fitter and tougher and wonder why anyone needs gears. It worked for me.

It's just for playing when the mood and terrain suits really, I'm never going to be a SS only rider. I used the 42 as it was what I had on the chainset already and went a little bit higher than the 2:1 recommended ratio as I tend to push bigger gears when I ride anyway, always have, plus it was always meant to be used at places where I'd need to keep a gear going rather than get up a hill.

Back