Cross dressing...

I think I am a follower of the Pace= brit bits formula. But only to an extent. The majority of the parts on all my pace are UK made, but each one of them has numerous parts that perhaps could have been british, but were sourced from other countries instead.

-RC500, Race face cranks, EGS Rear derailleur.
- RC300 (perhaps my most international build) FSA seat post, Control tech stem, Easton bars, Magura discs
-RC200, Thomson post & stem, Pauls thumbies
- RC100, alright you got me there, anything that could be British is.

I guess there are some places where the formula must be applied in my eyes (Pace forks, Middleburn cranks- except on a RC500!) But plenty of room elsewhere for flexibility and personal flair.

Of course, the Pace that's seen as "often formulaic" and always to be built with British parts originally came with American cranks, German brakes, an Italian saddle, French rims...

When I 1st built my Manitou HT bitd, it had Pace rigid forks , Royce B/B, Middleburn chainset and Hope hubs (on Mavic rims ;) ). Other bits were Jap or US.

retroyetirigid":3mmuels6 said:
When I 1st built my Manitou HT bitd, it had Pace rigid forks , Royce B/B, Middleburn chainset and Hope hubs (on Mavic rims ;) ). Other bits were Jap or US.

To clarify, this is more the direction I was hoping this thread would take.

I am not really after people confirming the build of UK frames with / without UK parts - I think that was a slightly erroneously used smokescreen on my part.

What I was meaning to focus on was quintessentially USA frames being built with non-USA parts - such as eg, a Manitou, a Fat, a Yeti etc...

Building a Manitou with Pace forks for example, and Middleburn cranks is something I would feel uncomfortable doing - and that is not intended as a downer on anyone building a bike that way, just that I would find it compromising.

Obviously there are plenty of UK alternatives to the Ringle / Grafton / Nuke / Bullseye etc etc component choices - but how do people feel about using them on USA-centric frames?

To offer a slight insight (no pics I'm afraid as yet) I will be building a very USA focused frame with all USA parts (save shifters / mechs / rims and chain). I am also building up a set of wheels specifically bought with this frame in mind as they are of the same year, and the colours work with everything else. However, the hubs are very much UK (GoldTec) and I don't think GoldTec made anything like the impression in USA that say, Ringle hubs made in UK.

As such, I'm not sure how 'authentic' I'd consider the build with them on...

I am aware the immediate response of many will be "Just put the bloody wheels on and ride the thing you ponce." but I'm afraid these are the types of 'issues' I always face when doing builds and thought for once I would share thoughts / musings with other members.

P.S. - Ed would be the first to admit he is without style, and that I have not made a mistake in confirming this.

Cheers,
BB

As far as vintage builds go, I think period correctness matters more than country of origin.

I remember back in the day it was more of a big deal to build up a superlight bike and/or one with no Shimano (or Suntour) parts than to have one with all American made parts, and this was often achieved by mixing aftermarket parts from different countries.

That said, there are times when it just makes sense to have continuity. If you have a Manitou frame, for example, anything other than a Manitou fork seems a bit odd.

To clarify/justify, I fitted the Pace forks as they were the only straight bladed, rigid, 1 1/4" ahead forks available. (Plus I always wanted a set ;) )

retroyetirigid":3r8f9h0w said:
To clarify/justify, I fitted the Pace forks as they were the only straight bladed, rigid, 1 1/4" ahead forks available. (Plus I always wanted a set ;) )

Were Accu-Trax forks not available in threadless then...?

Had they stopped making them by the time you bought your Manitou...?

This thread is sooo dissapointing after the title :oops: :LOL:

I have a set of hope tiglide and fatso in red to run on my manitou should I actually use it in anger....uneasy about though...just feels wrong :?

I have Big Uns and C2s on my Foes 4X bike. The hubs are strong and Hope make the brakes that I get along with the best as far as modulation goes. As far as aesthetics or who thinks it's a faux pas, I don't give a rat's ass.

Back