To clip or not to clip?

• SPD, the tighter the better!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bit of both, depends on which bike.

• Free and easy, flatties 'till I die!

• Total voters
Ever since 91 and the original 737 SPD, I am a complete Shitmano convert.

These things improve your riding control and speed more than any other upgrade to a bike. Revelation.

As above, feet just pop out when you fall. Have them on the road bike to so I can change shoes if some get soaked :)

orange71":1j8sqjy2 said:
but in a crash situation I have never been unable to detach from clipless

Unless your names Jon, you have XT spuds, your riding in Wales, your in front of a load of people and your spud decides to not let you free!

All I wanted to do was unclip in a 'sketchy' bit of track!

A classic, highly embarassing 'spud moment'! :oops: :LOL:

SPDs all the way - I went back to flatties on my LTS-DH when I went to Innerleithen for the first time and hated them - feet kept slipping off the pedals!
Only had one truly embarrassing non-release moment - and very recently - in front of a load of school kids on a cycling proficiency course (I was the responsible adult accompanying them!) Just plain fell sideways when doing a track stand in the playground! :oops: :oops: :oops: :LOL:

Even when i'm not useing the correct shoe my habbit is to place my feet on the correct part of my foot. And ride as if i have clipless shoes on. Bought 737 as soon as they came out. toe straps what a nightmare. How people ride with out being clipped in. When clipped in. Cyling is so much better with push and pull action going.

Never been near spuds :oops: :oops: :oops:

My 'new' Cannondale has got them and i've no idea what to do....should I go and buy some spud shoes and try them out or should I rip them off and put 'proper' pedals on.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

(bear in mind i've always ridden in lightweight fabric walking boots so stiff isn't an issue)

neilll":3cfzv8t4 said:
Never been near spuds :oops: :oops: :oops:

My 'new' Cannondale has got them and i've no idea what to do....should I go and buy some spud shoes and try them out or should I rip them off and put 'proper' pedals on.... :roll: :roll: :roll:

(bear in mind i've always ridden in lightweight fabric walking boots so stiff isn't an issue)

As they say 'suck it an see' ;) Try them on their most 'play' setting and let us know how you get on.

SPD's ............................ HA!, it'll never catch on ....................... well ;) , not with me anyway.

Well, I did as the article said. I have just done 3 hrs in skate type trainers and DMR V8's.

In conclusion there is nothing wrong with my for position, going up hill sucs in any shoe/pedal combo. I tried loads of different postions and tried to see if I felt any improvement. Zip, nada, squat, zero. I have put DX SPD's back on the Orange and on my way home ordered some Body Geomerty SPD boots from my local Specialized dealer.

I will however keep using flats for going into town, about 7 miles, as it is a nice trick to be able to walk around dressed like an adult. ;)

SPDs all the way - I just feel unsafe without them - like them nice 'n tight too.
I think if I went back to clips now I'd go through the same embarassing period of falling over at traffic lights as I did 15yrs ago when I first rode clipless :)

Latest posts

Back