• Hate 'em

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care

• Never heard of them

• Total voters
Geoff":1ciio24n said:
I must admit the fact that they do appear to be devisive always suprises me. In a non-retro context maybe (I'm off most off their current stuff big time) but not in a BITD sense...
I agree - voted "Love 'em", but in a retro sense. Don't like most of their recent/current stuff but I own 2 early nineties steelys and they're just beautiful frames!!!

they're great. I've only ever ridden a steel one, but I couldn't fault them. I had a '92 Explosif last, and even though it was too big for me it was great. i moved on to a Marin Aluminium bike, and am now going to steel and alu S-Works FSR.

I can't see myself going back to them, although I do need a 700c commuter, and like the look of the dew, so who knows.

I've got lots of Kona Lurve to give.

Nearly all the new ones leave me cold, but the same goes for most bike brands seen on the shop floor: Fat alu tubing; hydroformed; too much travel; too complex; too heavy.

The older Konas have aged very well. They ride great and the geometry still looks modern compared to other bikes of their era. I think that counts for much of the hype.

And, apart from the racey ones (with lighter tubing), you can bolt on racks, panniers and happily go off exploring the world or just do the grocery shopping. The same is not true of modern MTBs, which are neither robust nor adaptable.

One of mine was free and one cost me ten pounds for the frame.
Lucky, I suppose. But my point is: Some of the old steel hardtails are not worth much, but they're very adaptable and the ride is ALWAYS great. Mass produced? So what?

OK, I'll stop now. :D

Never had one, but always liked them. They had such a distinctive look, and IMHO characterised MTBing in the 90s (as far as was almost but not quite within my budget :S ). Maybe it was a triumph of marketing, but I'd have one now

Love them! Having owned a little red Hahanna and a Koa, i would like to say that they both rode very well and made me very happy. The Hahanna got too small and i sold the Koa to go to Glastonbury Festival :LOL: .

I remamber in their catalogues they used to say, we don't build bikes out of that rubbish aluminium stuff. Those were the days... With Joe Murray's name :D without :( ..

Back