spotted a dave yates

Interesting rust and chainstay damage on that. Its a Diablo, Dave Yates' attempt at a sort of mass produced bike, bit like a Roberts Genesis. He used standard sizes and lugged construction with FB at three joins.

Fingers crossed that rust isn't too bad and the chainstay is still intact.

pete_mcc":4g2yl0a3 said:
Interesting rust and chainstay damage on that. Its a Diablo, Dave Yates' attempt at a sort of mass produced bike, bit like a Roberts Genesis. He used standard sizes and lugged construction with FB at three joins.

Fingers crossed that rust isn't too bad and the chainstay is still intact.

ouch.........lol.... :roll: .lol

Pete, intrigued at your analysis of the DAVE YATES as a custom builder, with a range of mountain bike frames. (all be it only two ) the diablo and the D.O.N.K.I.S .N.O.B.

Im surprised you are so quick to dismiss the the welding quality of a craftsman"s frame, based basically on the amount he built, to achieve a pricepoint.

And enable his work to reach a slighty broader audience, who had only ever sampled mass produced work and never had the help of a small custom builder, ......example the "dave yates "diablo/and customer.

Certainly the tubing indicates, where this model sat in the range, and also the bottom bracket having a lug used instead of fillet, like say a roberts dogs bolox, and more like ....an overburys pioneer, or my own dave lloyd 753 frame, simply indicates a way of the custom fabricator, using an option to hit a price point, to create a differing frame selection.... thus forming a small range for that individual custom builder.

if this is what you ment then i totally agree with you.....in Dave Yates world, i suspect its deemed mass produced.

with your experience though im sure you will agree, it must have been a success for Dave Yates, for it still to be offered in there current range of frames. And although the tubing of the current model, has changed as tubing has been superseded, its still selling at a retail price..... starting at £725 for a single speed option,.... with costs increasing for custom options.

not overly worried about the chainsuck on the frame, did you see the state of my konas, and dave yates before i started...... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

For the small price i paid for it, im confident, i will be able to experience another well fabricated handbuilt columbus tubed bike.

Ill keep you posted.......im intrigued myself.... :D

Good skills on getting this sinnerman - had to switch off my iphone and leave it in the car to stop bidding on it myself!

I have a copy of 'does steel still ct it' from MBUK in '91 which reviews this frame alongside the Salsa Ala Carte and Serrota if you'd like a scan?

nevadasmith":k7dpyni3 said:
Good skills on getting this sinnerman - had to switch off my iphone and leave it in the car to stop bidding on it myself!

I have a copy of 'does steel still ct it' from MBUK in '91 which reviews this frame alongside the Salsa Ala Carte and Serrota if you'd like a scan?

Thank you very much.....yes i would enjoy reading that a lot, if you could scan the test reviews for the three bikes that would be awesum..thank you.

:cool:

Back