I have a theory....now with 650b content

FairfaxPat":2flw0ztu said:
Dr S":2flw0ztu said:
OMG! I think i need to go and sit in a darkened room somewhere.

A 29er wheel on a 'ham. Thats like painting some headphones on the Mona Lisa. Shocked!
Yeah, Dr., but the painter in this case is the original builder! Charlie says the bike handles great and I see him riding it around town and in the woods here all the time!

More proof that if the geometry is right, they work well.

I've had a measure of the 29er tyre i've got for this 'experiment'.
External diametre is 740mm, half that is 370mm.
So that plus about 35-40 for the height of the crown itself gives a minimum a-c of 410mm :D
How much mud clearance between the tyre and the crown is sensible?
I'm thinking a fork of 425 a-c?
What are my options in straight bladed carbon or Aluminium? :D

Update

Well, fate dealt her hand in the end :D
I was a bit nervous about how much a 29" was going to change the geometry, as i've said before.
Dan, our freindly neighbourhood wheel builder, had been on a boat off Greenland until about 2 weeks ago, so the wheel lay unbuilt at his place for a bit.
When he came to build it he discovered CRC had sent a 650b rim instead of a 29" :? :D
Initially i was annoyed about CRC's cockup, and i sent them an email explaining this :D but then i realised they had done me a favour :D
650B is 27.5", so halfway between a 26" and a 29". So i now have some of the benefits of a 29" without loosing any of the benefits of a 26" :cool:
Just need a matching Racing Ralph in 26" for the rear now and i'll be more than happy :cool:
Thanks Dan ;)

Attachments

• rm2 004.JPG
    rm2 004.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 907
  • rm2 003.JPG
    rm2 003.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 907
Back