Coolwall Jan 2011 - Shimano MTB groupsets

Coolwall Jan 2011 - Shimano MTB groupsets

• Cool

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Uncool

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Shimano cool..? NO WAY

If you talk about cool mechs and so on, I immediately think about the USA parts of the mid 90's..

Though, I have to admit.. if it comes to performance they make wonderful stuff, but the 'looks'.. NAAH, NOT FOR ME..

..when I think about cool things, somehow, Shimano doesn't pop up in my mind... maybe I should try harder..

When I was a kid in 80's Campagnolo is always the king and shimano is one of the cheap options for us poor kids. Coming back to bike again after 20+ years, was shocked to know that Shimano has became the King! Feels like my poor uncle has defeated the posh king - in that sense it is 'cool' :LOL:.

Design is much better than 20 years ago but there is always things to improve. Obviously Campag has longer history plus Italian design pedigree, which is hard to defeat. What I like about some of the good Shimano (not all of them) is that the design is fairly discreet, not screaming but works well with minimum complaint. Design wise Shimano will come close very soon, well I hope. Go, go my uncle! :LOL:

bonty98":2lyjuto2 said:
I like their stuff!
Way cool :cool:
Jan

I can see that by your Shimano a-headset in your avatar.

al. :D

There we go. Not quite what I expected but it would seem Shimano are

cool.jpg

Next vote up soon.

As a designer my theory of what is 'cool' or not is based purely on function, performance and reliability.

Usually something that is designed to perform well will usually look good and thus be 'cool'. A perfect example of this is Formula 1 Cars. They are designed to perform as a priority and thus look cool as a result. You will never get a F1 designer replace a reliable part with something that does not perform.

I have been using Shimano XT everyday since 1993 in all weathers and its never let me down. I once changed to Sram that came with a new bike and the rear mech broke in half after 3 months. This was uncool and made me realise how good Shimano is - we just take it for granted.

Therefore based on my theory Shimano is functional, reliable and performs and thus must look good as a result. Breaking down miles away from home when out with your mates is VERY uncool, so good old reliable XT is cool.

shaun":gf7vlnfr said:
Usually something that is designed to perform well will usually look good and thus be 'cool'. A perfect example of this is Formula 1 Cars. They are designed to perform as a priority and thus look cool as a result. You will never get a F1 designer replace a reliable part with something that does not perform.
Got to take issue with that.

As a long time F1 fan, and appreciative of all the thought and designt that's gone into them, one thing they do not have is looks. All the sticky-out bits, whilst no doubt having mucho aero significance, just make them look awful.

For that matter, not sure the whole open-wheel, suspension uncovered thing is such a good look, either.

Back