Mt Shasta bike - from Newbie!

john_roberts

Retro Newbie
Hello to everyone on the forum from a Newbie :D

I didn't want to resurrect a couple of older posts regarding Mt Shasta bikes, so I thought I would introduce myself, and my Mt Shasta! Yes, I am still using the bike, with a couple of upgrades, and she rides as well as the day she was bought new by me. Here are the details:

Mt Shasta Backwoods '92 Pro MTB, bought new in erm 1992. I believe these bikes were manufactured by/for GT, I think in Taiwan, and the Backwoods was the top model as far as I am aware. I bought it because in 1992 it really stood out as quality, certainly against bikes like Raleigh Activators! Of course things have moved on a lot since then.

Cost £450, quick release front and rear wheels and saddle, GT handlebars and saddle, Chromoly front suspension forks, 21 speed Shimano Altus A-10 indexed gears, Shimano brakes, Araya CV-7 wheels shod with huge Maxxis 26 x 2.25" knobblies, and a gorgeous clear lacquered polished chrome finish. I still have the original 'owners manual.'

First is a recent photograph of her with all her original fittings, and yes, I know the saddle is set at the wrong height, I just popped it back on the bike for the photo and didn't realise it looked too low :?

Stuff I've recently fitted/replaced: Bioflex gel saddle and suspension seat post (because I'm getting old haha,) a temporary adjustable angle stem as the original stem was too long for me and I'm trying to find the optimal position, Minaura Swing Grip for additional off-road lights as the GT handlebars are only 430mm wide, Continental Travel Contact semi-slicks as the Maxxis tyres were like riding through treacle.

The frame, complete drivetrain, front forks and even the brake blocks are original, and I still have all the removed parts incase I ever want to put them back on, including the knobblies! Only problems I have are a couple of very small surface rust spots, which I intend to repair this Summer using traditional 'rust on steel' methods but finished with a layer of mirror finish foil to maintain the appearance. I can't afford nor justify £300+ for a frame re-chroming! The frame otherwise is in almost mint condition, one of the things I did when I first bought the bike was Waxoyl inside the frame, hence I have no internal rust and when I removed the seat post for the first time after 7 years storage, it slid out as easy as new. Nothing else needs attention, it's like new.

Would be nice to hear from anyone who remembers these, or maybe owned one or even still has one! Any other comments would be welcome. Enjoy :D

Attachments

• DSCF0041s.jpg
    DSCF0041s.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 3,173
  • P2142140s.JPG
    P2142140s.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 3,173
Nice, Is it chrome then? looks black at bottom, and like smoked at top.
I know the chrome BMXs can be cleaned up with some metal polish like solvol autosol, and brasso type stuff.

I do remember em briefly. If you hang around long enough you'll have it back to early 90's spec ;) :cool:

Hi, and thanks for the reply :)

Yes, the bike is totally polished natural chrome, you can see it better in the first picture though it doesn't seem to glint very much because it was a very overcast day. The finish tends to reflect the shade of anything around it! I've avoided the use of Autosol because there is a clear laquer coating over the chrome to protect it and I'm pretty sure the Autosol will at best scratch this and at worse damage it.

I will probably return the bike to her original specification if I ever buy another newer bike, but I enjoy riding this one so much it's not on the agenda at the minute, but maybe shortly :D

Someone will have another idea how to fix the rustage.

Also if you hang around you are bound to have more bikes and this one with some period bits on. :)

Any ideas on repairing the surface rust spots would be appreciated, whilst trying to maintain the 'mirrored' finish, so silver paint isn't really suitable. One spot is on the underside so is not visible, the second is visible just infront of the bottlecage. My worry is that it may spread to the underneath of the decal, which I can't remove.

Thanks for that :D

I think that although the rust spot is small and on the surface, I fear it may have actually broken the chrome plating so I may need to treat the rusty frame underneath with something or other, like Rust Remedy. Will have a quick go at the scrumpled up foil method though!

Looking Ace. Glad you kept the original parts stashed away. :)

I have had a Mt Shasta Tempest since 2003 and it evolved from a total hack into a cherished retro oddity since learning more and appreciating it's spec etc. Hey, I think it's a nice ride and a strong frame.

Congratulations on having an unusual GT ;)

We might be small in numbers but we are big in pride

Back