1993/4 Rock Lobster - Now splitting

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Having finaly listened to my aching back, bought a modern Trek Fuel EX9 and am actually really enjoying riding it ( :oops: ), I need to sell my other every day bike.
I've built this up from frame only (twice!). I've never been able to get a 100% date on this frame. By looking at tons of pics of other Lobster frames, the closest I've seen to being exactly the same was a 1997 853. It was identical except that one was 1 1/8" and this one's 1" :?
The frame was repaired a few months ago (pics below) and re-powder coated and new decals from Gil applied. I also, very analy, cut and applied pieces of helicopter tape slightly larger than all of the decals to protect them :D
Everything on this bike is in excellent to mint condition. I spent a long time getting this just how I want it and I've looked after it since.
It's current built spec is as follows...

Forks - 2010 Marzocchi Bombers -80mm travel (only 6 months old!)
Wheels - Mavic Crossmax XL including almost new XT M737 cassette
Bars - RC130
Shifters - Thumbies (of course)
Brakes levers - XT M739
V brakes - XTR M952
Seat post - USE suspension
Stem - Thomson
Chainset - XT M737
Front mech XT M738
Rear mech M739
Cables - Goodridge (£50 3 months ago!)

Just adding up what I paid for the above comes to over £700!

Here are some pics of the repair, from a recent ride and the bottom one was taken 5 minutes ago outside my flat.

repair.jpg

68a9c5b4.jpg

CIMG0805.jpg

CIMG0809.jpg

CIMG0808.jpg

CIMG0813.jpg

CIMG0816.jpg

CIMG0819.jpg

CIMG1094.jpg

I'd like to get £550 back for this but I'm also resigned to the fact that I'll more than likely have to split it, so feel free to pm me if there is anything that you want if I do

Having had this frame pass through my grubby hands beforehand I thought I would help clarify the frame age...

It's actually from around '94 and was when Paul Sadoff brokered a deal to have frames he designed built in Taiwan to UK specifications and imported by NTi here..so it probably leans more to being a Sadoff than Merlin frame - and they're a little bit rarer! There is a gallery link to a MBi article on this very site...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=28697

The frame is Tange d/b cromoly but TBH I couldn't feel much of a weight difference between this and my old 853 Tig Team frame.

Anyways, it's a cracking frame and bike, clearly it's been loved as well! Had it been another inch bigger I would have probably kept it! Good luck with the sale :)

Modern :roll: and you like riding it :roll:

:LOL: :LOL:

Mark, Sad day but I would love the chainset if its 175 flavour should you decide to split.

Cheers

GM :cool:

mynchiboy":1rvjwid7 said:
Having had this frame pass through my grubby hands beforehand I thought I would help clarify the frame age...

It's actually from around '94 and was when Paul Sadoff brokered a deal to have frames he designed built in Taiwan to UK specifications and imported by NTi here..so it probably leans more to being a Sadoff than Merlin frame - and they're a little bit rarer! There is a gallery link to a MBi article on this very site...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=28697

The frame is Tange d/b cromoly but TBH I couldn't feel much of a weight difference between this and my old 853 Tig Team frame.

Anyways, it's a cracking frame and bike, clearly it's been loved as well! Had it been another inch bigger I would have probably kept it! Good luck with the sale :)

Thanks for the info!

Ok, need to get this moving so now splitting.

Frame - Re-coated and new decals 4 months ago. Almost mint - £70
Forks - 2010 Marzocchi Bomber (in retro 1" flavour!). 205mm steerer - £100 (£180 6 months ago) Sold PP
Wheels - Mavic Crossmax LX - Excellent condition. Can be run tubeless - £110
Black Pace RC130 bars - Excellent condition - £30
M732 Thumbies - Excellent condition - £45
XT V brake levers - Work great but some marks - £15 (sold PP)
XTR V brakes - Include new green pads for ceramics or standard part worn. Excellent condition - £40 (sols PP)
USE suspension post - Excellent condition - £25
X-lite bar ends - Some marks - £10
X-lite bar plugs - Excellent - £8
XT M737 rear mech - Great condition - £18 (sold PP)
XT M738 front mech - 28.6 TP. Excellent condition - £10 (sold PP)

Anything else then please ask ;)

Wheels - Mavic Crossmax LX - Excellent condition. Can be run tubeless - £110
Black Pace RC130 bars - Excellent condition - £30

Can I take these please :cool:

Back