what the hell.....

saltyman

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
just read the latest o nthe bbc website regarding the icy weather....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8458348.stm

top picture shows a car with a gap no bigger than your hand to see out the windscreen driving on a main road........then people crawling across a icy road on there hands and knees.

our winters are still mild in comparison to other countries and yet we still behave as its the end of the world!

The driver is a W**Ker. No wonder their are accidents. I bet the police didn't see him either :roll:

tintin40":78ua6eir said:
The driver is a W**Ker. No wonder their are accidents. I bet the police didn't see him either :roll:

see it every day as im on the roads with my job, why people would risk there life and cars for the sake of being lazy and impatient enough to not defrost and demist before they set off :roll:

tintin40":2py74hdw said:

doubt it, my local police seem to be permanently parked in Tesco car park in their nice warm Disco eating cake.

I joke not. Last two trips there has proved this observation to be sadly true.

saltyman":1w9w7aww said:
our winters are still mild in comparison to other countries and yet we still behave as its the end of the world!

i think part of the problem is the British institutional syndrome of burrying your head in the snow and hoping a problem goes away and hopefully the Tabloid media doesn't pick up on it.

Been in the States in 10ft snow drifts. They still managed to get planes out and de-ice in between flights. Got trains and busses running. Even taxi's with big V8's and rear wheel drive were safe to drive about in because the roads were properly snow ploughed.

I am faced with the reality of major roads locally being cleared but hardly any arterial connections being de iced, so no one locally can actually get onto those roads. That's not the end of the world, but it is a poor.

I sum it up by believing En-Ger-Land is Third world quality for First world tax.

Maybe i should lead that coup and take the country by force for real? ;)

Wu-TangledI sum it up by believing En-Ger-Land is Third world quality for First world tax. Maybe i should lead that coup and take the country by force for real? :wink:[/quote said:
I think you maybe painting a darker picture of the state of the nation than really is. The rest of the world is not a garden of eden either

tintin40":lorwfl60 said:
[I think you maybe painting a darker picture of the state of the nation than really is. The rest of the world is not a garden of eden either

well aware of that, but you know what? I'm not paying through the nose for the rest of the world (apart from the bits we keep blowing up) I am paying through the nose for this island and watching as none of it make any difference.

I'll take over when people are ready for it.

you have to put yourself in the position of our councils' leaders.
Its autumn and forecasters are prediciting a mild winter. As with all public sectors, there's a finite budget and everyone wants some of it. you are faced with a decision for the winter contracts.
1. buy/hire lots of gritting lorries, take on staff for a harsh winter, buy in loads of salt/grit
2. get in a smaller amount of the above, hoping and going with predictions that you'll use most of it in small doses throughout winter.

If predictions are right, and youve done 2, youre laffing
If predicitions are wrong and youve 2, which is where we are, then its a bit of bad PR, you can blame the met office and others, but at least theres still a cost saving.
If predicitions are wrong and you've done 1, the public is happy, PR is good, but the costs are high.
If predictions are right and youve done 2, then youre a complete loser - high costs and loadsa redundant stock, lots of idle drivers time.

What would we all do if faced with those decisions before winter? hindsight is just great.

Wu-Tangled":11wm2tdc said:
tintin40":11wm2tdc said:

doubt it, my local police seem to be permanently parked in Tesco car park in their nice warm Disco eating cake.

I joke not. Last two trips there has proved this observation to be sadly true.

Are you sure their at Tesco's?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8458822.stm?ls

Back