lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm guessing there are forums covering this but i trust you guys. I want to get rigged up to the internet at home but don't want the hassle and cost of a phone and phoneline.i have good mobile signal at home so figured a dongle would cater to my needs. I'm not on the internet much. Mostly here and ebay a bit of youtube. Couple of hours a day. Any advice and suggestions?

Good phone signal does not mean good broadband signal. As a friend of mine found out. They had excellent phone signal but couldn't get mobile broadband that was usable.

It's not very fast or as reliable.... it is convenient if you move your laptop around with you though i.e. away from the house)

You could just hook up your mobile phone if it'll act as a modem, often via bluetooth, normally via a cable though.
My old cheap Siemens phones could do this, not sure about my new cheap Motorola though

a friend of mine uses a Tmobile dongle, its fairly reliable! but slow, slower than dial up at times! I'm about to get a BT one (freebie as I kicked up a bit) max of 1meg download a month above that you pay per meg
using your mobile as a modem can rack up the bill big time! unless your provider does a cheap rate subscription? I just hit the iphone now if I need to surf while out and about or if I can I leach wifi off unprotected routers :twisted: it's supriseing how many there still are out there! I found 4 today while sitting in a customers kitchen drinking my coffee including the customers! :?

I had a 3mobile dongle and it was awful. The advertised fastest speed was supposed to be 2mbps and despite a strong signal, when it did work I rarely saw it go faster than about 200kbps.
In the early evenings when traffic was higher it wasn't even worth bothering to try and connect as the service was so poor.
Added to that there were long periods (several days at a time) when I couldn't get any connection day or night.
In a word; crap.

Because it's not possible to get a landline to me, I depend on my mobile broadband.
Last year, when I tried to start my business, a lot of it was actually centred around this kind of technology. My experience tells me T mobile is probably the best, but generally they're all OK; they are all rubbish somewhere.
I might have a spare dongle, still, as it happens. If I can get my hands on it, £20 or swap it for some bike goodies?

I'm just coming to the end of a 2 year 3mobile contract for the "alleged" broadband service....Its been pants all the way through and i cant wait to see the back of it!!! Slow connection, non connection, freezing, the list goes on, I connected up the other day at a whopping 14kbps :cry:

check the website for the various companies,you need to check the 3G/HDPSA coverage where you live,NOT the standard coverage for mobile calls.... if you get a good 3g signal then you can get excellent sppeds,my tmobile dongle in a hdpsa area is faster than my 2mb broadband...most have low download limits though,i personally wouldnt recomend one for daily home use...

Latest posts

Back