getting worried about my daily squeeze

losidan

Senior Retro Guru
My daily basher is a marin palisades trail about 2002 model. Last week or three it has been making a nasty cracking noise when I give it some out of the saddle. I have tried to narrow down and I think it is from the rear wheel...i think. It isnt a creaking but a cracking noise. I had it in at the LBS who rebuilt the rear hub but it is still doing it...Possibly from the cassette or maybe even the BB?

Any help would be lovely jubbly

to help narrow it down its something underneath you :LOL:

and if the bikes on top of you , your doing it wrong

Take the wheels out, clean the dropouts and re-fit them. I had a little corrosion on mine after a winter's riding which caused creaking.

I didn't discover this until I had nigh-on stripped and re-assembled the whole bike... :D

the last time i had that sort of noise it was the frame :shock: :(

OR change your bike. And if continues then it's your 'ol' bones :D

recently had a similar thing. Only when standing up climbing. Tried different wheels, bottom bracket - all the normal transmissiony stuff. Turned out to be a worn headset. One of the balls was "dropping" into a pit as there was pressure when on the bars, coupled with the slight turning as you climb. The frame was simply amplifying the noise to make it sound like the centre of the bike. New headset and its cured.

Back