Workstands

bpikeuk

Old School Hero
Hi all,

I want buy a workstand but I'm just not sure what to get.

The choice is between the clamp the top tube or seat post type or the rest on the B/B shell and hold the down tube type.

I have used a couple of the first kind and thought that they were a bit unstable.

I am only able to spend up to £100 so which type and what make would you recommend ?

Cheers

Barry

dont get the bb mounted ones as i had one and it was hard to work on the bb and if the gear cables run on the bb shell it can also be hard to adjust the gears
i have a minora one now which folds up cost was £160 but well worth it, also look at park tool ones, buy one of which you can get parts and upgrades for

Fat Spanner do a great value stand for £75.

If you don't need the flexibility of a folding/collapsing stand then the Park Tools PCS-9 has an excellent clamp which easily grips any part of the frame.

I was gonna buy a decent Ultimate branded one, but as its a major purchase £130ish, it has not heppened yet! :oops: :?

I've got the one that merlin sell for just under £70, mine was from edinburghbicycle coop which is now more expensive, but the same stand. They are fine for most things if a little flexy. Folds down nicely too ;)

I've got a Park PRS15 but that's way out of your price range.

I've used a Wrench Force stand before, which are made by Trek, and they were very good, and quite stable, for a basic stand.

I've also used a Tacx under the BB type stand and it was a real hassle working on the BB and gear cables. When I wanted to fit gear cables I had to take the bike off the stand to thread the inners through the BB cable guide.

The clamp around versions are a lot more convenient and they're the type that the majority of shops seem to use.

Mine is a Cinelli, and it's great. But it's old, so it doesn't clamp oversized tubes, and you have to clamp frames like that in. Still, much, much nicer than anything you can buy in Wiggle.

The tune up ones that hold your back wheel off the floor by hooking under the chainstay are good if you don't have a lot of money. You can get them for £25.

I have a Park Tools. cost about £50ish from crc it clamps round the seat pin. The only thing i don't like about it. No tray to hold tools and bolts.

I have a Park Tools PCS - 9 and it's great. Folds up easily so very portable but sturdy enough to hold a 30lbs bike comfortably. Could do with t atry for tools etc, but Park do a magnetic one as an extra, so I will get one at some point. :)

Back