Paris (on the cheap!)

theboy

Senior Retro Guru
Off to Paris in a month, for 4 days ish, at the bequest of the good lady. Thing is, apparently there's a recession on, and my personal financial situation is a bit Simply Red. So, have the well-travelled, culturally elite fans of retro bikes got any hints and tips of where to eat (I am veggie - eek!), where to go, and where one might find a flea market/antiques market!?

Merci! le boy

For a drink, my favourite bar was Chez Georges. A good honest Parisian non-tourist bar. To be found here:

11, Rue des Canettes, 75006 Paris. Just round the corner from the St Sulpice church (beautiful at night).

If you Google it, it seems to come out quite well. I used to go there in the early 90's as a student and it was a real genuine place. I hope it hasn't lost its character. If you go to google maps you can even StreetView the place and see where it is.

Re veggie: well in those days you had no chance. I would imagine things have moved on. Can't advise though, sorry.

super, cheers for that Orange - anyone else have any exciting nuggets of useful info (will also accept chunks, lumps and gobfuls of info)?[/code]

I know, although, I hear the french do a few things in the 'bread' and 'cheese' categories, and someone mentioned 'legumes', which sounds fancy, but I may have to hunt it down.

Previous memories of Family bike holidays in France are of eating Horse and quite a lot of raw beef... pfft.

If you are happy to travel a bit there are plenty of cheaper of Ibis and Novotel hotels outside of the main centres which offer decent accom. at better prices than in the ctr. I did my time there as a student so the tax payer picked up the bill. We used to drink at the Frog & Rosbif in Les Halles as they serve proper beer and it's the only place in Paris where you could get a decent cup of tea.

Paris isn't a word Id normally associate with 'cheap' or 'veggie' Its damned expensive at the moment with the euro as it is.

Latest posts

Back