HS 2, to be abandoned?

Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Given the increasing costs, £32bn, which became £56bn. Leaked government document estimated £72bn.

All to save 20mins on an existing journey, end to end.

Oh, and this is one of Gideon's willy waving exercises.

Can this STILL go ahead?

Your thoughts please.

Mike

Well the Edinburgh tram system went ahead despite horrific delays and cost over runs for very little real benefits so why not?

Re:

£56 billion is just Phase 1 to West Midlands,

National Audit Office just said unrealistic budgets and timetable, and the plans (or lack thereof) in Euston are a disaster area.

Re: Re:

daugs":3nmzkf6e said:
£56 billion is just Phase 1 to West Midlands,

National Audit Office just said unrealistic budgets and timetable, and the plans (or lack thereof) in Euston are a disaster area.

Yes, I heard the same!

Hopefully mothballed

I hope so.

Moiney should be spent on developing other regions instead of making it easier to work in london.

This sort of engineering exercise is what puts the Great in Great Britain, it always has and it's what the country is built on.
It's the only way we will get the good old preiEU days back

Re:

Big projects good but HS2 is the wrong big project.

Splash some cash reducing travel times between northern cities first.

FluffyChicken":3as6z2nw said:
This sort of engineering exercise is what puts the Great in Great Britain, it always has and it's what the country is built on.

What sort of exercise is that? Engineering cos you can?

We already have railways to Brum.

20 minute saving between Brum and London. What will people do with that time? Buy coffee

Big price to pay for that saving in time

Mike Muz 67":1kz7d4tc said:
FluffyChicken":1kz7d4tc said:

What sort of exercise is that? Engineering cos you can?

We already have railways to Brum.

20 minute saving between Brum and London. What will people do with that time? Buy coffee

Big price to pay for that saving in time

With the price of a coffee in london, it'll soon pay for itself.

Londoners will still not want to commute from Brum or the North

Why does cross travel in the north need to be better, not as if anyone from Hull want to go to Liverpool and vice versa.

Leeds and Manchester fast link maybe for them living in the middle of the two, but you still need to get to that station.
It would be much easier if people just build places to work and shop at away from the big centres.

A fast link tunnel from Belfast would connect the United Kingdom better.

and it the short term vision you are looking at, not the long term vision.

Re:

I can think of better use of £72bn for transport improvement.

Park and ride schemes and PROPER cycle lanes to start with! We need to tempt all of the one-in-a-car commuters out of their ton up bubbles, keeping towns clear of folk hunting for parking spaces :roll:

But don't get me started! :LOL:

Back