Hole in the wall

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have a hole in the wall. Put there ages ago by a previous tenant, long story, but they have obviously covered up a botched furniture removal accident. I've taken out the patch of badly applied filler and discovered a hole.
Hole dimension: 140mm x 80mm

My query is, can I patch this up?

Image link - hope it works....
http://1drv.ms/1xYLbks

It's plasterboard. I've no plans on using it to mount anything, so it's purely cosmetic....

Thoughts and ideas please?

Martin

Re:

Make the hole a neater shape and straighten the edges. Get a peice of plaster board and cut to fit - make a paper template to get the size and shape correct. Wedge it in the hole and glue it in using Polyfila or similar stuff. Let it dry thoroughly, then sand back and fill again, repeat until the surface is flush with the original.

Re:

+1 for Rob's post. That's the best/quickest way to do it, done it a few times like that myself, the patch is held in place flush with existing surface. No need to rely on filler around edge "glueing" it in place, it would also be easy to knock it inwards again using glueing method.

Re: Re:

REKIBorter":2nqqu285 said:
Make the hole a neater shape and straighten the edges. Get a peice of plaster board and cut to fit - make a paper template to get the size and shape correct. Wedge it in the hole and glue it in using Polyfila or similar stuff. Let it dry thoroughly, then sand back and fill again, repeat until the surface is flush with the original.

Pretty much except for the wedging bit :?

Need-
2 strips of wood the length of the hole plus 2" each side. and wide enough

Piece of plasterboard cut to fit more or less exactly(here you can hold it up and any sections that wont go into the hole you scrape with the side of the stanley knife till it fits

Ive done you a pic :D
anything you need explained drop me a line.

Attachments

• Fixing holes in plasterboard (Custom).png
    Fixing holes in plasterboard (Custom).png
    28.1 KB · Views: 615
Re:

Andy, did you watch the YT video Rob posted? It pretty much nails, er, screws it.
None of the faffing about waiting for the filler to dry before you can then fill it to get it flush as in REKI's method.
5 minutes, job done then quick smooth once dry. Bish bosh, loads ah money.

Re:

I just love the efforts people go to to help out. Admirable.

Alternatively I can send.......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 595
Re: Re:

The History Man":3kylvbtt said:
I just love the efforts people go to to help out. Admirable.

Alternatively I can send.......

Funnily enough, I'm using the same frame with a different picture to cover the hole. The Mrs is unaware of this job at the moment.Is that an original print? :)

Back