Cleaning car cylinder head

john

The Guv’nor
Admin
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Not sure if this is the right place for such a question.

Anyhow have a car cylinder head which has recently had a valve seat replaced and been skimmed. Did ask for the machine shop to clean it also but it was returned as is. The head is reasonably clean although still quite oily in places but the swarf from machining needs removing.

The head is also still partially built with most of the valves and one cam still in place.

Thoughts are to remove the remaining cam and degrease and wash the head. Any tips or advice? Would ideally not like to remove all the valves.

Re:

They should know better than to leave swarf in the cylinder head.
For peace of mind the head needs completely stripping and blowing through with compressed air and then thoroughly cleaned.
I'd give it them back and ask for it to be delivered in a state of "fitness for purpose".

You really need to remove all the valves & stem seals even if only for peace of mind. Traffic film remover is an excellent degreaser for use at home, work quickly if its an alloy head rinsing thoroughly & blow out all ports & oil ways with compressed air. Don't forget to lube all components on reassembly.

Re:

The head is off and almost apart-might as well finish the whole thing, like jacques recommends, because labor to take it off and put it back on is the major expense, not the parts you replace in the head. Plus, any metal shavings in the head will contaminate the oil and ruin the engine eventually. By doing the whole thing, it will set your mind at rest and hopefully avoid having to take it off again. :)

Have to admit I was surprised to get it back not cleaned up when I'd asked for this to be done. However it was an hours drive away and 5 mins before closing. The place who did the work and skim aren't open again until Monday and with work etc I'd struggle to get back over this week.

Think the advice is what I knew. I'll strip the head fully and clean it properly over the weekend.

Should I lap any valves when reinstalling or if they go back in the same position will it not matter?

Any recommdations from cleaner? What should I lube it with afterwards?

Re:

Any recommdations from cleaner? What should I lube it with afterwards?

Engine degreaser, Gunk etc., then engine oil, after all, that's what will be lubricating it when it's back together anyway. :p

Just remember that the camshaft bearings require a liberal coating of proprietary bearing lube, Wynne's or similar.

Back