Plastic Bag Charge

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Good ? Bad ? Will it make any difference ?
Are they expecting it to ;)

OK it's a bit of a grumble :LOL:

5p charge OK Why ? I 'believe' its to do with the environment and its disposal ,length of time to degrade,what is left to contaminate the earth/water.

I've 3 birthdays this month and go to buy a card and expect them to put it in a paper bag for protection. The paper bag has been gotten rid of so its only plastic available, at the charge.
Paper bags :? How are they a threat to the environment ? Or is this a cynical attempt by the card shops and others that used to use paper bags but have come to the conclusion of 'Why pay for something the customer gets for free, why not do away with that and go all plastic
And how is that traceable ? They have to charge and the funds are 'supposed' to go to charity,although i dont remember hearing those words exactly , more led to 'believe' again :? How could anyone prove or disprove how many bags they've sold and what portion goes to charity and which portion goes into the till on the quiet.

2nd point
I go to M&S and spend £120 and those goods require say 6 or 7 bags to carry it all.
Where is it set in stone that the customer has to carry this burden. Seems fair to me that the supermarkets and their slightly more expensive 'local' branches make a lot of profit, so perhaps they should pick up the tab for the customer :?

Fair comment ? Cynical bitter old man :LOL:

Re:

That's pretty funny, because around here they just banned plastic bags and it costs 10 cents per paper bag-I can see it is hard to dispose of plastic-but paper comes from trees they cut down... :(

Interesting link - thanks!

You have to reuse a cotton bag a lot before it makes environmental sense, don't you?

It's all traceable, they order plastic bags (by the million!), they have to account for them.
So the 5p will go where it's meant to. In fact, they probably pay the 5p when they buy the bag. Then get it back from you.
And its the way of the world, lots of people just dump "free" stuff, like bags. So it ends up in landfill.
Tougher bags (that are reusable) cost more, but if you give them away a significant fraction of people *still* dump them. Idiots.
Over here they've been charging for bags for around 20 years, plastic bags are 10p, small paper (basically the same size as plastic bags) are also 10p, large paper bags are 20p.
They have generic bags where the money just goes into a big charity/tax pot or lots of local stores have bags where the money goes to targeted charities/organisations, usually local sports or childrens clubs.
Personally, our paper bags get used maybe half a dozen times before the handle goes, then it either gets used as firelighter, or jammed in the paper recycling bin. The plastic bags get used two or three times, then used as bin liners.

And cotton bags CAN be reused lots of times. We've got one that we bought on holiday in spain 10 years ago that keeps coming to the top of our bag of carrier bags. And gets used, again. Only cost us half a euro.

Re:

Currently, you're paying for a plastic bag whether you're using one or not. Now the cost is transferred to those who actually want one. Too often in the past something would be automatically put in one, even if I'd said no.

Wales has had the law for a few years now, and frankly I don't miss plastic bags. Most households have a selection of reusable bags, and simply use them. Personally, I carry the rucksack I've been using for 20 years anyhow. There was a bit of awkwardness about what do to with household rubbish in the kitchen as the missus has always reused our shopping plastic bags for that. Now we use the bags that loaves of bread come in.

Does it make a huge difference to the environment in the scheme of things? Not hugely, but it is very symbolic - and gives you a small nudge about excess waste every time you shop.

Re:

Most households may have a selection of carrier bags that's true but do you carry them with you 24/7 on the off chance you'll have to pop and do a bit of shopping?

Re: Re:

chrisv40":18wrwzgg said:
Most households may have a selection of carrier bags that's true but do you carry them with you 24/7 on the off chance you'll have to pop and do a bit of shopping?

I don't know somehow it never becomes a problem. I'm usually carrying a rucksack when out and about. I guess others simply leave the reusable bags in their car or perhaps put a small foldable bag in their coat pocket. If all else fails, you just fork out the 5p I guess.

How do you remember to bring your money with you on the off-chance you might do a bit of shopping?

Appreciate the thought though. I thought the law would be more hassle than it is. But in practice, you just make a minor adaptation to your lifestyle if you want to avoid the charge really.

If its just popping in to pick up a some potatoes, a litre of milk and some meat, meh, buy a bag. Or manage without.

Just means you'll have an extra bag ready for when you go to do your planned shopping.

Or do what we do for big shops, 3 or 4 folding boxes in the back of the car.

Latest posts

Back