the pedal club dinner/ midland bank outing baiku!!!

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
gentlemen . . . i have just returned from a trip to london to visit "the pedal club" one of the biggest road clubs in the london area. i was invited by the legend . . . . sir glen of longland! one of a very small clique of riders who has broken 300miles for a 12 hour timetrial, a local legend! and a top bloke and drinker!! :D :D :D

the day started with glen meeting me at the shop then wandering down to southampton train station, on to the train to waterloo arriving about 11am, first we wander across one of the many bridges across the thames and into the "wellington" for a swift 2 pints! the start of what is to come! generally talking bike related silliness from years gone by! :)

pints are downed and we head to "the prince of wales" pub to meet up with the pedal clubat which point another 2 pints are drunk during agreat slap up meal followed by a speech by a british cycling guy whose name escapes me! honestly it's not the beer talking! he jibbered on about medals and the olympics etc till a few people chimed in regarding lack of funds for racin generally and why stuuf all the money into track riders etc! quite funy really, it's nice to hear the old guard gobbing off at the young'uns! cracked me up! :LOL:

after things had calmed down glen then introduced me to the man, the legend, the god of commentary . . . . PHIL LIGGET! i love his commentary and he is so knowledgable about the sport, fantastic! i ended up sat with daniel lloyd, who is doing very well racing wise in europe and recently winning his first UCI race so it was nice to hear some inside stories from the peloton! :)

after another pint in the bar downstairs talking to some of the guys from condor cycles we headed off at around 4pm to the legendary "midland bank" A.K.A the griffin, geddit? griffin, the midland bank logo from years gone by?

for those of you not in the know or of the very conservative nature the griffin is a pub like any other but has a constant parade of NAKED BEAUTIFUL GIRLS DANCING BEFORE YOUR VERY EYES!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :p :p :shock: :shock: :shock: absolutely stunning!!! :D never seen anything/girls like it!!! every girl was flawless!

needless to say i am now a damn site poorer!!! :D :D

by this time,9pm, we head to the next venue (an indian restaurant) to discuss how to help "these poor girls get through college/ university and life" because lets face it, they need help and in my dreams i'm willing to give it!!! :D

after leaving the indian with my wallet well and truley raped it is time to head back home on the train to southampton . . . what a great day!!!

the best baiku i've had in a long time!!! :D :D

oh . . . . yes i am still drunk! :D i felt i needed to share this with you all!!!

:D Glad you did. Sounds like a great night out. No pictures from your phone of these ladies?

Great story mate. :D

But 300 miles (483km) in 12 hours :shock: !!!! Is that even possible. And in a time trial!!!!
I'll be doing Trondheim - Oslo here in Norway. 540kms (335 miles). Just as last year I'll be happy if I manage under 20 hours. Didn't manage last year :( . Got so cold and tired I had to sleep for an hour, just 60k before the finish :cry: .

I used to work around the corner from the Griffin <- FACT

I didn't know it was that sort of establishment <- Not fact

Phil Liggett has spoken my name on television <- Proudest moment

rienster":xgddsw6w said:
Great story mate. :D

But 300 miles (483km) in 12 hours :shock: !!!! Is that even possible. And in a time trial!!!!

http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/com ... 1=1&Cat2=6

Looking at the records for 10, 25 and 50 miles reminds me of people I used to ride, race and work with.

My friend Rob's dad Albert was the first person in the UK to break 50 minutes for a 25 mile TT. He done it in 1978. Even in the early 90's with a low profile bike, disc/aero wheels and bars etc Rob (or I) never got anywhere close to going sub 50.

i'll let someonelse answer that last question, it always drags on!!! :D i put it there for a laugh coz the pedal club is bike riding related!! :D :D

glen was in cycling weekly regarding his accomplishments and still races now, the local TLI races are his favourites aswell as timetrialling and he'll be out at the local "heath races" starting next tuesday evening.

cheers for reading!

Back