Baroness Warsi (Hats Off To..)

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
Always inspiring to see a senior politician resign on principal. Shades of Robin Cook. I hope she does the right thing and leaves the Tories to join the Labour Party at some point. We need to do more to encourage a peaceful solution, to protect all the innocents being killed.

It's a shame she didn't feel compelled to resign when she was found guilty of breaching the ministerial code. She's a mildly controversial figure, and while I applaud a person acting on their convictions there a numerous examples in the past where it would have been even more apt for her to stand down, but she never did.

In any case, I believe she is wrong. The Foreign Office has played a huge role in negotiating a ceasefire. Were the UK government to go about gobbing off and getting people's backs up then that reduces any influence we can bring to bear on events. In light of today's ceasefire and the revelation of the part our own Foreign Secretary and diplomatic service had in bringing it about it was right and proper that Cameron politely declined to outright condemn the Israelis when asked to to so the other day.

To cap or all off, her resignation letter was quite scathing, slagging off various ministers for their uselessness, including our new Foreign Secretary, the very day our new Foreign Secretary announced the ceasefire to the British public.

Not only was she a day late but hindsight has almost immediately proven her wrong. Just because she didn't know what was happening, it doesn't mean there was nothing happening. A beautiful piece of bad timing on her part.

Chopper1192":292eighm said:
It's a shame she didn't feel compelled to resign when she was found guilty of breaching the ministerial code. She's a mildly controversial figure, and while I applaud a person acting on their convictions there a numerous examples in the past where it would have been even more apt for her to stand down, but she never did.

In any case, I believe she is wrong. The Foreign Office has played a huge role in negotiating a ceasefire. Were the UK government to go about gobbing off and getting people's backs up then that reduces any influence we can bring to bear on events. In light of today's ceasefire and the revelation of the part our own Foreign Secretary and diplomatic service had in bringing it about it was right and proper that Cameron politely declined to outright condemn the Israelis when asked to to so the other day.

To cap or all off, her resignation letter was quite scathing, slagging off various ministers for their uselessness, including our new Foreign Secretary, the very day our new Foreign Secretary announced the ceasefire to the British public.

Not only was she a day late but hindsight has almost immediately proven her wrong. Just because she didn't know what was happening, it doesn't mean there was nothing happening. A beautiful piece of bad timing on her part.

I think you have called it spot on, but the lefty liberal hand wringers will be salivating at this. Saw that pathetic little man 'Clegg' mouthing off and drawing in that treacherous two faced fence sitter Vince Cable.

And don't get me started on that other tosser, Miliband. :facepalm:

So she has resigned from a position where she could have possibly made a difference?

Well done, dont think so. Seems like an ideal way of getting out of a situation whilst maintaining an appearance of taking the moral high ground.

highlandsflyer":y0mel227 said:
I hope she does the right thing and leaves the Tories to join the Labour Party at some point.

I'm utterly baffled why on earth do you think Labour are any more principled that politicians of any other stripe. In fact if you look at recent times the only party not to totally betray their convictions are the Tories. Both the Lib Dems and Labour did so once a sniff of power was offered to them.

At least the Tories have been consistent shits.

Anyhow whilst I appreciate her apparent principles the cynic in me suggests that she has done it for some political advantage.

And Chopper - if you believe our politicians had anything to do with the ceasefire you are seriously deluded. Both sides stopped because they had made their point.

Personally I think the whole region should be nuked down to the bedrock - and even then they would argue over who had the most radioactive bit. Both societies are a sick cancer on the world.

secret_squirrel":3cdcjpsu said:
Personally I think the whole region should be nuked down to the bedrock - and even then they would argue over who had the most radioactive bit. Both societies are a sick cancer on the world.

You have taken it too far there.

Yeah, I think trying to pass it off as a case of "both being as bad as the other" is a bit rich, all things considered. There's only one side with tanks and an air force zeroing in on schools and refugee camps.

Frankly I don't see why my pasty white arse has a "right of return" to somewhere I've never been, while people who were actually born there get shepherded into a walled ghetto and shelled. Hell, it's not even fun to be a jew there unless you're willing to abandon yiddish culture and adopt some zionist idiot's attempt at making a spoken version of hebrew.

Another glorious legacy of the British empire. :roll:

Back