Moving to Cambridgeshire/ Suffolk- area advice.

JeRkY

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello good people.

I have finally resigned myself to the realisation that I can't afford to buy in the London, especially in Islington where I currently reside. I shall dearly miss London, and lament the the loss of the comfortable lifestyle it has afforded me the past 5 years. But even an ex-council 2 bed tower block flat is currently looking towards £300k and rising almost weekly, my Landlord is advertising our current ground floor flat at nearly 2.5x that!

Reinforcing the decision is the fact that for the last 3 years I have been commuting daily to either Oxford, Cambridge or Southend for work due to my chosen career path not existing in the city.

As such my girlfriend and I are looking around the Suffolk side of Cambridge toward Newmarket and Bury St. Edmunds.

Can any one recommend any areas to aim for or avoid? We have seen some fantastic looking properties advertised but are clueless on the pro's and cons of locations.

Much appreciated.

I've heard that Cambridge has a university or something. I think it's called Cambridge University.

PM me if you need any more info.

Ha, I'd love to but there isn't really any one to fund my Pace addiction up there these days.

I work around the Newmarket area on a regular basis and think you would be ok in any of the villages around there.but don't forget that Newmarket is a horse dominated area,and the bloody things are everywhere.i don't think Haverhill is that great but have you thought about ely.it,s as flat as a witches tit,but dose have good rail links to London if you need to get back.i think if I moved to that area I would look at saffron walden,which is a loverly little market town but is actually in Essex.and you would also need to consider flight noise from stanstead

Im Cambridge born , bread and educated and work for the university. if you wanna know anything drop me a pm.

Doug,

Back